Things are settling down a bit around here. Dennis is finally feeling much better...still having trouble with coughing at night. He was able to make and hang some shelves for Daddy and Bobbie in their bathroom last week. Their little bathroom had NO storage. He put in a couple of large shelves that they can stack towels and toiletries on. He had planned to do it when they first moved in, but they kept talking about wanting to move. So he decided to wait and make sure they were really going to stay! They seem to be much more content where they are now. Daddy is learning to depend on me more and more. He really resented it at first, but now he seems to not only expect it, but want it. That sure makes life easier!
I took him back to the plastic surgeon/dermatologist last week. The cream he was using on his nose wasn't reacting as well as the doctor wanted, so he prescribed a second cream to use for another two weeks. We still haven't been able to start it, though, because insurance is throwing a fit over how expensive it is. Hoping to hear today that it has finally been approved, so we can get it started.
Daddy had his injections in his back yesterday. The procedure went well and he walked out of the office pain-free. He can now stand almost straight! He has been so bent over and crooked for such a long time. I talked to him this morning, and he said he still isn't having any pain. The doctor had said that if the procedure was successful that he would probably go back and cauterize those nerves for a more permanent solution. That would be great, if Daddy didn't have to deal with his back pain anymore!
We had our monthly potluck Sunday at James and Renee's house. Unfortunately our guest speaker got sick and couldn't come, but a few of his in-laws came for a visit. Daddy and Bobbie came over for lunch. He had given the lesson at Eastside that morning, so they didn't come to Highway for the assemblies. I was really surprised when he told me he was speaking again. It has been years since he last gave a lesson. He said they provided him a stool to sit on, since he couldn't stand that long. I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone from there to find out how he did.
I go for my second HepA vaccine this afternoon. I think I'll still need 2 more vaccines before we travel to Vietnam. I'm trying to space them out to avoid any potential side effects. Sheila is supposed to check on the typhoid shots, which we'll have to get at a health clinic. All of the others I've been able to get at Walgreens.
Tomorrow is Ricky's 29th birthday. It is hard to believe my "baby" is almost 30! Sheila is coming over and we are taking him out to the Mesquite Pit for a steak dinner. That boy does love a good steak! He is doing very well at his job. He is about at the 90 day mark, and his boss has already told him to expect another promotion and raise (he's already gotten one). Last week he had to handle an accident that one of his guys had. It sounded pretty scary, but he stayed calm and took care of everything very professionally. He faced a bit of resentment at first, since he came in new and rose above others so quickly that had been there longer, but now he has earned their respect. He is a good worker and he has always been really good with people!
I go back to my foot doctor tomorrow to be casted for my new orthotics. Her office is in Keller, so it will take a big chunk out of my day. That will be the last doctor appointment for this week though! We already have 2-3 doctor visits lined up every week for the next 3 weeks. I keep hoping this is going to slow down at some point!
Dennis goes in next week to sign up for Medicare. We are looking forward to that kicking in! His insurance through USPS will be his supplemental, plus we'll still have the prescription benefits with it, so our medical expenses will drop to almost nothing for him. I still have another six years until I get there though.
Dennis hasn't done anything on the house while he's been feeling bad. He has managed to keep up with the mowing and watering. I finally got the "jungle" in our front yard trimmed back and sacked up for trash pick-up. With the cooler temps and cloud cover this week, we shouldn't have to work so hard to keep the grass alive. It has been a battle lately with temperatures hovering around 100 degrees every day. (I dread getting our water bill for July!)
Our vacation plans are back on for the latter part of September. We had decided we would have to cancel, because we didn't know when Sheila and I would be travelling to Vietnam. There is NO way, now, that we will be going in September. We still didn't feel like we could be gone 18 days like we had originally planned. I need to be accessible for Daddy and that is too long to be out of pocket. So we modified our plans to drive straight to the Grand Canyon, spend three days, and then drive straight back for a total of 8 days. Our plans are to spend a couple of nights on the way out with Lawrence and Sharon. They've been after us to come see them for years. We plan to stop in Amarillo on our way home to visit with that congregation. We are really looking forward to getting away for a few days! Dennis has always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. I went when I was 18, but it was with my mom and dad. We spent maybe 15 minutes. So I'm looking forward to really getting to spend some time there. We are also going to the North Rim, which is supposed to be much more spectacular and not as crowded. This will be our 40th anniversary trip, so I'm really thankful that we are going to be able to go (Lord willing)!
We have our plans made for our yearly October Meeting at Highway. It will be October 27-29. I'm really looking forward to it! We have Gene Siemens, Terry Avaritt, David Pettit and Jensen Porter lined up as speakers. In the 50+ years that I've known Terry, I've never had the opportunity to hear him speak. I am very excited to finally get the chance! I've heard the other three and they are all excellent teachers. I think it will be a great meeting! I hope some of you will get to come join us!
No comments:
Post a Comment