Monday, January 15, 2018

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!


I hope those of you who get today off are enjoying your 3-day weekend! Dennis and I are enjoying our rest time. Taking care of an active 4-year-old takes a toll on these old bodies! We love it, but we definitely need our rest time.

Last week went well for the most part. Nam had a rough time letting go of Sheila the first couple of days, but after that, he did very well. I think he is finally learning that this is how things are going to be, and that his momma will come home every day. It is so much fun to watch him learning new things. We are doing a lot of driving on the interstate:  picking him up or taking him home. He is very observant! He works on his language skills by pointing out things that he sees on or alongside the road. I bought a Wee Sing Bible Songs CD to play on the trips, which really helps pass the time. I love hearing him sing along! My kiddos grew up listening to those same songs, and it is neat to see my grandkids enjoying them as well. (Both Stephen and Sheila have been playing them for their kids.)

We took Nam out to the state park on Friday. He loves going out there to look at the deer. This time he wanted to see an eagle. Well, eagles are NOT easy to find! There are usually a pair of them at the park in the winter, but it is a rare thing to actually see them. He was disappointed that we couldn’t find them, but we saw a doe standing right beside the road. We also saw a bunch of ducks and seagulls and pelicans fishing. We stopped once to hike down to the edge of the lake to glass for the eagles. We showed Nam deer tracks and explained to him what they were. Sheila said over the weekend, he would make animal tracks in his playdoh! I also thought it wise to point out what cactus were and tell him to avoid them. For the rest of the day, he would point out every cactus he saw (even while driving down the road). Teaching a 4-year-old is such a different experience than I’m used to. When you are training a child from birth, they pick up things gradually as they mature. To bring a child that is already developed (to a certain extent) from a different culture and country and teach them all of the new things they need to know is so amazing, because they are able to understand so quickly. Plus he shows amazement at all of the new things he experiences. I love sharing new foods with him. He is a good eater and will usually try anything. Sometimes it takes a little time for his taste buds to adjust to new tastes and textures. He is good to eat pretty much anything that is “soupy”. I think that is the predominant form of food that he was served at the orphanage. He also LOVES meat…and fish! He hasn’t shown a lot of interest in baked goods…until he discovered Vienna Finger cookies. I’ve tried him on both homemade oatmeal and peanut butter cookies, and Sheila tried him on her chocolate peppermint crinkles, but he just wasn’t interested. I did make some apple pie fingers last week (applesauce spread between layers of pie crust, cut into strips and topped with cinnamon and sugar and baked). He did enjoy them! He has also become a fan of cinnamon/sugar cake donuts. I know…we really shouldn’t be teaching him to like stuff like that, but it is just so fun! He is also really good about eating healthy snacks like greek yogurt and fruit.

Since Nam would rather play with Dennis, I’m able to get my normal chores taken care of without any trouble. In fact, he is pretty good about wanting to help. When I got out my Swiffer to mop, he wanted to take over. He likes to mop for his momma. He did really well at folding napkins for me. He is pretty meticulous, so he worked hard at trying to line up the edges and make them neat. It wasn’t a perfect job, but it was plenty good enough! He is also starting to play more independently while here. Dennis is trying to “wean” him off of always having to play with him. He hasn’t been able to do anything without him being right there. That works ok for making simple projects like his stool and toolbox, but it won’t work at all when he gets back to working on the house. I’m sure we’ll be able to work out a manageable routine in time.

Sheila takes Nam for his checkup with the international adoption clinic in the morning. She has put it off until her new insurance went into effect. It will be interesting to see what all they say. I have court in the morning, so Gina will be going with her to help with Nam. That will also give them some time together without Grandad and myself being around.

Ricky is still struggling with his crud from last week. He had to miss two days of work last week. He is still snorting and spitting up stuff, but he is feeling better. I think he had the beginnings of a migraine yesterday, but we managed to head it off before it got too bad. He is about the age that Dennis was when he started having migraines. I hate to think that he is going to have to go through that. He has been through so much already!

Another bitter cold front is heading this way today. It sure makes me want to hunker down and hibernate. Nam has handled the cold much better than I expected. Last week, Dennis got him out when it was sleeting. He loved it! He would throw his arms out, look up to the sky, turn around in circles and laugh and holler. I can’t wait to see what he does if it snows! That child enjoys life!

Daddy continues to do well. His face has finally all cleared up from his fall and he is feeling good from his physical therapy. Bobbie still isn’t doing well. She continues to suffer from her cold, plus her anemia has returned. She is going to have to take her iron infusions again. She made it to church yesterday morning, but as soon as the service was over, she wanted to be taken straight home…before eating lunch. We dropped in on them last night, and she was feeling better, but still not good. Tonette is taking her to the doctor tomorrow. She is just really weak right now. I’m hoping that the PT that her orthopedic doctor has ordered will help with that. The winter months can really take a toll on people her age. Last winter was when her health started really declining and we had to step in.

I hope all of you weather this extreme cold front with no problems! I am sure thankful for a snug house and central heat! Stay warm and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment