Monday, January 8, 2018

Sheila's 1st week back at work


Well, Nam did very well for his first week of Sheila going to work. It was hard on both of them, but he improved every day. It is so sweet to watch him work up his courage to tell her bye in the morning! Sheila has worked out a routine that I think will work best for everyone.

My appointment with the orthopedic doctor went well. My shoulder problem is, as I expected, a torn rotator cuff. There isn’t any nerve damage, so he felt like I would benefit best from a steroid shot. He said it might take up to a week or more for it to take effect, but I could tell a difference by that night. It is SO nice to sleep pain-free! I’m hoping the effects of the shot will last several months. I don’t plan to ever have surgery on it, unless it gets so bad I can’t use my arm, which I don’t expect. Surgery on tendons takes too long to recover!

Friday, we took Nam to visit Daddy and Bobbie. He is so sweet! He gets excited to go see them. We can’t stay long, because their apartment is so small and crowded that he doesn’t have room to play, and he has too many temptations to get into. He’s really pretty good about NOT getting into stuff he’s not supposed to, but their place is just filled with too many things that are at his level.

After our visit with them, we took him to Thiess and Gina’s. It was Thiess’ first time to meet him. He was smitten! Nam was more interested in all of the critters around their place:  3 dogs, cats, cows, horses…not to mention a tractor! He will love going to stay with them from time to time!

The three grandsons finally got to get together Friday night and Saturday morning. We all met up for supper at a pho restaurant. Nam was SO excited to meet his cousins! On the drive to FW, he kept singing “Daddy Finger” (very exuberantly!) and just breaking out in laughter for no apparent reason. As soon as we arrived, he climbed up in Stephen’s car and started hugging the boys. It took a little while for Jesse and Shepherd to warm up, but by the end of supper, they were playing well together. Stephen’s family went to Sheila’s so the boys could have some play time, and Dennis and I came on home, so as not to get in the way. I look forward to the next time we all get together, so I can watch them interact with one another.

I was really looking forward to a day off Saturday, but we had two deer to butcher. That, along with other chores, took up most of the day. I never did get to feeling rested up over the weekend. I had hoped to sleep in Saturday morning, but I ended up being up most of the night with a sinus headache. My headache eventually went away, but it sure left me feeling draggy.

When we picked up Daddy and Bobbie yesterday morning for church, Bobbie sounded awful. She had come down with a cold a few days earlier, and it sounded like it was trying to settle in her chest. She had a terrible cough. After lunch (which she only ate a few bites of), Dennis took them back home so she could rest. Tonette is taking both of them to the dermatologist this afternoon, so she will be able to determine if her mom needs to go see her primary care doctor. There is a lot of stuff going around right now! Ricky was sick all weekend, too. He went on to work today, but he sure didn’t feel like it!

Sheila and Nam came over last night to spend the night. That will be our normal routine, so Nam doesn’t have to be shuffled around on Monday mornings. He wakes up so early that he and Sheila have some snuggle time in the morning before she has to leave for work. He did NOT like the idea of her going back to work after having her to himself all weekend. He likes “Momma and Nam, ALL day!” But we managed to make it through the goodbyes without any tears.

Dennis and Nam went driving through the state park this morning while I cleaned up and started my daily routine. Then we had to have some Playdoh time. After that they went out to the shop to build a step stool for Nam to use to reach the sink for washing up. Now they are working on a tool box for Nam’s tools. He just LOVES doing stuff with Grandad!

So far, this fulltime grandparenting is going very well. Even though I enjoy the free (rest!) time we have when he leaves, I still miss him and look forward to the next time he is here. He definitely adds a huge new dimension to our lives and makes everything more fun!  The 2 month anniversary of his adoption is Wednesday. It really feels like he has been with us much longer. I'm amazed at how much he has learned and how well he has adjusted in such a short time. He has turned out to be a major blessing to all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment