Monday, January 29, 2018

What happened to our weekend?

I think I'm getting too old to do a 24 hour trip to Paris! We picked Sheila up at work on Friday to head that way. We had to take a little break, because Nam had a meltdown when we got back in the car after picking her up. We stopped by their apartment and allowed him to calm down, then headed out again. This time he did great! The trip was long and hard (a Friday afternoon, driving through the DFW area!). We had to detour around a couple of wrecks, which added quite a bit of time to the trip...along with the traffic delays. We only had to stop a couple of times:  once for supper and once for a bathroom and snack break. Nam knew we were going to a hotel, so instead of the normal "Are we there yet?" that most kids do, it was him pointing out the window and asking, "Hotel?" He finally went to sleep about an hour before we arrived in Paris. Since we got to our rooms around 9 pm, that really messed with his bedtime! He was wound up and didn't go back to sleep until about 11. Since we had booked 2 rooms, Dennis and I were able to get to sleep at our normal time. Poor Sheila! Staying up late didn't really alter Nam's wake up time, so she didn't get a very long rest.

After breakfast, we hung out at the hotel until around 9, and then headed over to Stephen's. Nam was really excited to see his cousins...and Uncle Stephen and Mandy. At this age, the boys engage in parallel play more than cooperative play. But they get along pretty well. Nam loved all of their trucks and cars, Jesse wanted to play camping in the dark (but Nam is scared of the dark), and all of the boys played with their collective super heroes. Shepherd went from one to the other. He and Nam probably play better together than Nam and Jesse. I didn't really see much jealous behavior though, which surprised me. Dennis mostly stayed in the living room and let the boys play in the bedroom, which I'm sure helped.

After Jesse opened his birthday gifts and lunch, we got back on the road for home. The trip back was easier, not as much traffic. Nam slept for about an hour. We only had to stop once for gas and snacks. I was really pleased with how well he made his first road trip!

We took Nam to visit Daddy and Bobbie last Thursday. We arrived as the residents were finishing lunch, so they all got to see Nam (which, of course, they all loved!). We stopped by the office manager's office, and she gave Nam candy...that is turning out to be her thing with him...it always earns her a hug! Then we went out to the courtyard and waited for the folks to finish up and come out. Nam was so sweet with them. We had talked with him beforehand that just like policemen and firemen and ambulance drivers (who he LOVES) help people, we need to help people. Pawpaw and Memaw get lonely and we can help them by visiting them and showing them we love them. So he interacted with them and gave them hugs and kisses...as well as ran and played. He really does have a sweet and loving heart!

I take Daddy to the pain management specialist this morning to see if they still recommend the nerve cauterization on his back. If so, they will fax the information to his kidney doctor to see if he will ok the procedure. Daddy's back has been giving him more trouble lately. I figure it is probably from all the cold weather we've been having, but it may be degenerating more. If the kidney doctor thinks it is safe, then we'll schedule the procedure as soon as possible to try to get him some relief.

We enjoyed a wonderful Lord's Day yesterday! Andy was our guest speaker, and then we went to James' and Renee's for our monthly potluck. Everyone seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day. Then we had our monthly singing service, which was even more exhilarating than usual. It was just a perfect day! I had gotten up really tired from the weekend, but I was feeling energized by the end of the day. I love Sundays like that...such a great way to begin a week!

Well, I need to get ready for Nam to arrive, and then to go get Daddy for his appointment. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment