It has been another whirlwind of a week! I was down all day Monday with vertigo. I was dizzy just sitting still, and really felt queasy whenever I had to get up and move. Thankfully it only lasted the one day!
We had another "bug episode" last week with the folks. We had to take them out for the day, so their room could be treated. Toni took her mom home with her, and we brought Daddy over here for the day. Bobbie had a hard time being separated from Daddy, so we ended up taking them both home early to calm her down. Her short-term memory has gotten so bad that Tonette was constantly having to explain everything to her.
While we were getting the folks ready Wednesday morning, the nurse asked to speak to Tonette and I. She said she really believed that both Bobbie and Daddy were at the point where they needed skilled nursing care, so we needed to find a new place for them. After Dennis and I took Daddy home Wednesday evening, we dropped by a couple of places in Weatherford (that the nurse had recommended) and looked around. I set up an appointment for Tonette and I to go back on Thursday to one of them to have a tour and get more details. Then Thursday morning, I was looking at other options online and decided to check out our MW options. I found one place that had very good user reviews, so I drove out to have a look. I was very impressed with the facility and called Tonette and talked to her about her feelings about them possibly living in MW. She was ok with it, so we went to talk to them first thing that afternoon. Then we went to the place in Weatherford and took a tour. Both places were nice, but the one here in town was smaller and "homier". We decided to take the folks to look at both on Friday and let them pick their favorite. Tonette spoke to their doctor's office Friday morning, and they recommended the place here over the one in Weatherford, so we decided to just take the folks to this one and see what they thought. Bobbie really seemed to like it. Daddy was more noncommittal. He knows that (especially because of Bobbie's deteriorating condition) they need to move to a skilled nursing home, but you can tell he is not happy about it. It will be a big loss of independence for him. Tonette and I hope to finalize plans this week and get them moved in early June.
I got a message first thing this morning from Tonette that Bobbie had fallen again and was on the way to the ER. They decided to keep her overnight this time, because she was dehydrated (no real injuries from the fall, other than a bump on her head). We took Daddy up to see her tonight after he had supper. We left him there while we went to get something to eat. They ended up having about a 2-hour visit. Tonette is trying to get her mom moved into rehab tomorrow. We are hoping that will help keep her from falling anymore before we move them! She is falling at least once a week lately.
I am really looking forward to getting the folks moved to MW! I can check in on them every day. It only takes me 10 minutes to get there from my house, as opposed to 25-30 minutes that it currently takes. It will be SO much easier to pick them up for church on Sunday mornings! Plus any time they need something or have an "emergency", I can be there in short order. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders just thinking about it! Plus they will be here where we have family that can visit them. I know it will be another tough adjustment for them, but I really believe it will be so much better!
I'm looking forward to Daddy's "party" next Sunday. Bobbie will probably be in rehab. I was nervous about taking her anyway. She has such a hard time getting in and out of our car and is such a fall risk, that taking her anywhere makes me uneasy. I'm thinking the trip will really perk Daddy up, though. I told him today that we were going to HC next Sunday for his birthday. I just didn't tell him that we were planning anything else. Just telling him we were going made him cry. He is super emotional these days. He really worries about Bobbie and is (I think) depressed over how much they both are declining. It is heartbreaking to watch. I can tell that Bobbie is declining every time I see her. Daddy's not quite that bad, but it is very noticeable how much he is losing strength and mobility. Please pray that they will have peace of mind and contentment as they face these new changes.
Starting tomorrow, I am having Daddy's mail forwarded to my house. If anyone wants to mail him anything, please send it here. He will still have his cell phone when they move (with his old Saginaw number), and I will probably get them another landline.
Take care and count your blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment