Saturday, June 15, 2019

Happy Father's Day!


People make such a big deal over Mother’s Day, but Father’s Day, not so much. I want to pay tribute to  the dads that have been important in my life.

Of course, there is my dad. He was always my “safe spot”. Even though I had a healthy fear of him (because I knew what a belt across my behind felt like with him holding the strap!), I also knew that I could always count on him to keep me safe. Since Momma was sick and in the hospital so much, I spent quite a bit of time with Daddy “on the job”. He had to work two or three jobs all the time to be able to pay the medical bills. So I would sometimes accompany him to his second job at Montgomery Ward. He sold floor coverings on the second floor, which was a LOT of fun. All of those displays of rugs were good for sliding down or hiding between. Plus I would wander all over the store. Back in those days they even had a pet department, which I always loved. On game nights (be it football or basketball), I would go with him and help him count the money taken in at the gate or concession stand afterwards. I really enjoyed those times that I got to go to work with Daddy!

Of course, there was also my granddaddy (Momma’s dad). We spent a great deal of our childhood at Granny and Granddaddy’s house. Granddaddy wasn’t much of a talker, but he was solid, dependable, cheerful, and always kind. He drove me crazy sometimes…especially early in the morning (when I was trying to get in just a little more sleep), and he would come in cheerfully telling us to rise and shine! (I was NOT a morning person!) He worked hard as a carpenter…building the family home and working on jobs in the community. He always had a great pile of scraps in his “workshop” in the backyard that he let us grandkids use to build all sorts of things to play with. Some of my earliest memories of him were when they would come see us in Littlefield, or we would visit them, and he always gave me a silver dollar when it was time to say goodbye. He was far from wealthy (monetarily speaking), but he made sure to always have this bit of treasure for his grandkids. When he wasn’t working outside, you could often find him in the kitchen helping Granny. He could peel an apple in one piece…not breaking the skin. He also cracked and shelled no telling how many pounds of pecans! He was a sensitive man WAY before it was a “thing”. I will always remember on their 50th wedding anniversary, walking into the kitchen where he was giving Granny a big kiss and telling her how beautiful she was!

Of course, the “dad” that I’ve been with the longest is Dennis. He was such an amazing dad to our three kids…especially when they were little. Even though he worked long, hard hours, he always had time to play with them when he came home. He would orchestrate “hunting adventures”, lying on the floor with toy (or imaginary) rifles, waiting on imaginary deer or elk to appear in their crosshairs. He took the kids fishing from the time they were in diapers, and on real hunting trips while still in elementary school. Of course, they were schooled in gun safety from the time they could hold a toy gun! I’ll always remember the days when Stephen and Sheila were toddlers, when we would go visit Dennis at work…delivering UPS packages at the Dallas Trade Mart. He would load up his hand truck and then sit them on top of the boxes and take them for a ride. It wasn’t uncommon for some of his customers to send home something special for the kids to play with. I will also always remember all of those times in church when one of our babies would get fussy. He would take them to the back and walk around with them until they finally settled down and went to sleep. He was such a natural with them!

I’ve enjoyed the last 5 years of watching my oldest, Stephen, grow into fatherhood. He has matured from a scared young dad-to-be to a seasoned dad of three. He fishes and camps with his boys and is utterly wrapped around little Gracie’s finger. He works hard at his job, but he makes sure he has plenty of time to spend with his family. I often see glimpses of his dad come through as he interacts with his kiddos!

The newest “dad” in my life is Sheila’s husband, Matt. I was impressed with him as a dad to his two boys, and have grown even more appreciative of his skills as he has taken on the role with Nam. He is always patient (at least when I’ve been around) and always takes care of their needs. He has helped corral our exuberant and fiery little guy from the early days of his and Sheila’s courtship. It often brings tears to my eyes to watch them interact with each other. He has fulfilled Nam’s greatest desire…to have a dad.

So for these, and all of the many dad friends that I’ve known along the way, I want to say “thank you” for all you do. You are all heroes in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment