Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Vietnam


Last night I was watching a food/travel documentary series on Netflix that I enjoy. One of the episodes last night took place in Vietnam, specifically Saigon (or HCMC). It sure brought back the memories of our stay there just over 1 ½ years ago. I even teared up a bit as I watched the familiar sights. When we were there, we were laser-focused on our mission…to get Nam and bring him home. Once we had him, we were afraid to get out much. We were getting to know one another, and he hadn’t learned to obey us yet, so we were not comfortable getting out of our hotel more than was absolutely necessary. Most of our meals were even eaten in our rooms…usually delivery service from various restaurants.

Watching the show last night made me want to return someday and really experience the country. The only “sightseeing” trip we made in Saigon was to the zoo (which left much to be desired…although Nam loved it). We visited the beach when we were in Nha Trang, but we didn’t get in the water since Nam was scared of it. We didn’t do ANY sightseeing in Hanoi. It was a very intimidating city, and we were nervous about venturing out of our hotel.

I would love to go back and have some real adventures! The food in Vietnam is delicious. We avoided street food, because we couldn’t take the chance of getting sick (and the water is notoriously dirty). It would be fun to try more of the local specialties. Nha Trang was absolutely gorgeous (even though we were there just days after it had been hit by a typhoon). It is also a smaller city and less intimidating than Saigon or Hanoi. The countryside is absolutely breathtaking. Although I said I never wanted to go back (after the excruciating plane trip), I have since decided that it would be a fun trip to make…under the right circumstances.

I don’t regret our decisions to stay in and secure on our trip. We were there for one reason only, and it was well worth the sacrifice! As time passes, though, I have a hankering to return to the place that gave us our delightful Nam. Maybe someday…..

No comments:

Post a Comment