Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Progress in some areas, not so much in others

Work on the living room is going slow. We have the sheetrock removed and Dennis is working on removing popcorn from the ceiling. This is not going well! He doesn't know what they painted it with, but it is waterproof, which makes the stripping process slow and laborious. Our living room has looked like a kill room for the past week!

We did get a new water heater installed. Our old one was about 20 years old, so we decided to go ahead and replace it while we had everything opened up. Hopefully it will last us as long as we own this house. It does seem to have a faster recovery rate than the old one did, too.

Gwen ended up having to go back for more surgery. The original surgery uncovered a different type of cancer in another location. However it was caught very early. She is doing extremely well! She isn't allowed to drive for another 5 weeks, which is going to be inconvenient, but she's getting around great and having very little pain.

I got to see Ricky and Amber's new (rent) house Saturday. It is beautiful...and very roomy! I noticed a large patch of bluebonnets coming up in their front yard, too. I'm so happy that they've found such a nice place to live. They'll be moving in this weekend, Lord willing.

We went to HC on the 26th of last month. We enjoyed spending time with our friends and family there! We haven't seen Nam since then, but he is supposed to spend a week with us during spring break. We are all really looking forward to that! His parents are planning a special anniversary trip during that time. I hope the weather is better by then, so we can get out and do some fun activities!

On the 31st, we took a quick trip to see our other grandkids. It was for Jesse's 6th birthday. We wanted to take him his present and spend some time with all of them. All three kids are growing up so fast...especially Gracie! She is at the age where she is learning new things every day. She sang for us and did the hand motions to several little kid songs. She is such a loveable little girl! Those quick trips to Paris wear us out, but they are worth it! We really love being able to see the kids every chance we get!

Dad is doing pretty well right now. I really think he has been severely depressed and is beginning to emerge from it. He is communicating a little better and showing more emotion. Jennifer and her three boys visited him last week. His face really lit up when they walked in! He really does love company, even though he tires quickly and doesn't interact well with them. I'm thankful that I was there when they arrived! I think it helps to have me there when folks visit. Communication is still difficult for Dad, so I can help "interpret" between him and others. I can also read his cues that he is ready for them to leave. I really appreciate those who make the effort to go see him! It is truly a selfless labor of love.

Dennis has been sick this past week. He ended up going to the doctor Friday with a sinus infection. He is still coughing up a lot of junk, but he is resting and feeling better. He hasn't felt like doing anything for several days though.

I had to get off of my CPAP for about a week. It caused a skin irritation that looked like it was infected. I used triple antibiotic ointment on it and left off using the CPAP until the redness and "blisters" went away. It still irritates my skin, but I'm watching it closely and treating it when it starts to look like it needs it. Not sure how to avoid the irritation. I've switched dish detergents (which is what is recommended for washing the mask) twice and am washing it every day or two, instead of just once a week (which is what is recommended). I really didn't like not being able to use it. I feel so much more rested when I do!

We FINALLY got our "affairs in order." We saw a lawyer acquaintance of mine, who drew up our wills and powers of attorney. We got them signed and recorded. We also filled out our medical powers of attorney and got them notarized. It feels good to have that taken care of! All we have left to do is buy a pre-arranged funeral plan and buy our cemetery plots, and we'll be all ready! Ha! It is just really important to me to try to make things as easy as possible for our kids when the time comes. I have learned a lot over the past three years working with Dad. I hope to make the process much easier for our kids to deal with.

I hope all of you are faring well during the cold, wet weather we've been having! Be careful and I hope you all stay well and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment