I read on Facebook this morning about a boy who took his own life because of the stresses of our current situation. That breaks my heart! We need to really be mindful of our young folks and help them understand and cope with the realities that we live in.
I’ve been really focused on how all of this is affecting our elderly (which, I’m sorry to say, includes myself and Dennis), families impacted by not being able to work, and those who are immunocompromised. Not having kiddos in my household, I really haven’t been that aware of how it is affecting our youth. Sure, I talk to my kids and ask how their kiddos are doing. But I haven’t realized how much of an impact that the “weirdness” of our times is having on kids.
I guess what I’m wanting to get across is for parents, especially, and all of us to make the effort to talk to our young people. Find out how they are dealing with the uncertainties and social distancing. Let them know that they can talk to us if they are afraid or depressed. My first reaction, after reading about this tragedy, was to think about my teenaged grandkids and reach out to them. Open a line of communication with them. Check in on them on a regular basis to let them know that they aren’t alone and they have people who love them. I have confidence that their parents are already doing that, but it never hurts to reinforce those things.
So, if you have kids, make a special effort to discuss their feelings with them and reassure them. If you don’t have young’uns, reach out to those you know. Adults are having a hard time dealing with all of this. It shouldn’t surprise us that our youth are struggling, too. Be there for them!
No comments:
Post a Comment