Thursday, October 15, 2020

House Update

 

We have been busy working on the house since we got back from vacation. We have our bathroom vanity, tub and toilet bought and stored in the garage. We’ve purchased our gas fireplace insert and are waiting on it to be delivered and installed next week. Dennis had to “wire” the fireplace before that happens, which turned into about a 2 day job. He ended up drilling through about 15” of ceramic in order to run a wire for the outlet. He also spent about $100 on drill bits and ruined a couple of them. But he finally got through and the fireplace is ready for the insert. We are really excited about getting that! I don’t like wood-burning fireplaces, so we haven’t ever used ours. I look forward to being able to have a nice, warm gas fire when the weather gets cold. We expect to use it to heat the living area of the house most of the time. So it will be both useful and aesthetically pleasing! (Neither of which the old one was!)

ready for insert

picture of insert from brochure


The hall bathroom is completely gutted. Dennis needs to rewire it and then start working on the sheetrock. It shouldn’t take too long, since it is such a small room. After the walls are finished, we’ll lay the floor tile. Then we can install the fixtures. The vanity we bought is from a collection that also includes a wall cabinet and framed mirror that we also plan to purchase. We opted not to make a opening into the hall closet. I should be able to store enough towels in the wall cabinet for company needs and just replenish them as needed. We are hoping to have the bathroom functional by Thanksgiving…at least the sink and toilet! I know that I am spoilt, but I really miss having two working bathrooms. I definitely want to have them both before we have any company!

gutted bathroom



After we get the fireplace installed, the living room will pretty much be finished, other than the carpet (which will be the absolute last thing we do). After the bathroom is completed. Dennis will take some time off for hunting season. He may work on the doors for the a/c unit and water heater. He plans to build them himself. The only ones we could find that are premade have louvers, and I REALLY don’t like louvers. He plans to make them using a similar design to our other inside doors, but cut out the routed area and replace them with metal grillwork for ventilation. After hunting season, he’ll move on to the back room, which I plan to make into the grandkid room. That will just leave the master bedroom/bath! The end is finally in sight. I’m hoping that 2021 will be our final year of renovation!

Well that is all the news on our home improvement project! What’s new with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment