We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Montana to see the wonders of God’s creation! But we are very happy to be back home. That’s the thing about vacations: you can’t wait to go, and you can’t wait to come home. It was great to get away from everyday stresses and focus on just enjoying life and the things that God has provided. But after a couple of weeks of travelling and living out of suitcases, it feels wonderful to return to the everyday mundane! However, we brought home some things that will stay with us the rest of our lives.
The thing we love about Yellowstone is being able to see
wildlife that we rarely, if ever, get to view in “real life”. Watching wolves
and bears and moose as they go about their normal lives is an amazing thing to
experience! Seeing elk up close and getting to hear the bulls bugling and see
them sparring with one another is every hunter’s dream. Seeing the diversity of
the landscapes that make up Yellowstone is awe-inspiring! We’ve been
privileged, now, to have seen it in the spring thaw and the fall. Our hope is
to some day be able to return in the winter to see a whole different view of its
majesty.
This was our first (and probably only) trip to Glacier
National Park. It was as beautiful as we had been told, even though we were
only able to see the western half. (The services on the eastern side are managed
by Native Americans, who have chosen to remain closed due to COVID-19.) The
park is primarily designed to be enjoyed by hiking, so we were limited in what
we could do. I was able to go on some easy hikes, but most of them required a
lot of uphill climbing. I don’t do so well on those! It is humbling and
disappointing to realize that I can’t do things that I would like to do and
used to be able to do. I gave it my best, but this old body just didn’t have
the stamina or joints/tendons that was needed. I felt bad that I kept Dennis
from doing as much as he would have liked, but he refused to go off without me.
So we just did some simple hikes and drove around seeing what we could from the
road.
One of the things I enjoy about travelling is the
interaction with strangers that you cross paths with along the way. There is something
about viewing natural wonders that brings out the comradery among fellow
vacationers. In Yellowstone, people were quick to let you know about spots where
there were animal sightings. Thanks to fellow watchers, we discovered the
YouTube video of the bear who killed the elk. That added a whole new dimension
to our trip! Seeing the bear guarding its kill was special, but then being able
to watch him making that kill on video, made it all the more exciting. We met
the grandson of an old friend of ours at Yellowstone and discovered that he and
I both killed our first deer out of the same deer stand. No matter where we
have gone in our travels, we meet up with kindness and friendliness along the
way. No state or region holds a monopoly on hospitality!
As we have gotten older and more financially comfortable, we
have modified the way we travel. Whereas we used to pull around a pop-up camper
or stay in bargain motels, we now opt for more comfortable accommodations. I
love staying in cabins! Since we get very tired of takeout food, I enjoy having
the resources to prepare our meals. Having access to freezers also helped us
greatly reduce our need for buying ice. We filled our empty drink/water bottles
(and freezer bags) and froze them, refreezing them along the way. When we are
traveling from place to place, I like trying to find us a suite in which to
spend the night. We stayed in 3 different ones on this trip, and they are SO
much more restful! We try to end our driving by about suppertime, so that
leaves us several hours in the evening to rest and “chill”. It is nice to have
a sofa and/or easy chair to do so, rather than having to sit on the bed or in a
desk chair! It is definitely worth the little bit extra we paid!
One lesson that I learned the hard way on this trip, is that
it doesn’t pay to push too hard. We limited ourselves to being on the road no
more than 8 or 9 hours a day, and tried to do less than that when we could. But
at the end of our trip, we were really ready to get home, so we did a final
push of 12 hours in the car. After 9 or 10 hours, I felt my feet and legs
beginning to swell. I’ve never experienced this before, and I did NOT like it!
After about 24 hours and a couple of “water pills”, they are now back to normal
(and I’m about 5 pounds lighter!). I told Dennis that no matter how much we
wanted to hurry home from now on, we weren’t going to do any more 12 hour days
of driving!
We also discovered that 2 weeks from home is our limit. On
our “big trips” over the past 6-7 years, we have allowed about 2 ½ to 3 weeks.
We both noticed, on this trip, that we were “done” at the 2 week point. We had
had all the fun that we could stand and wanted to return to our normal lives!
There is no bed so comfortable, or shower so refreshing, or chair so relaxing, as
is in our own home! When we walked into the house Sunday night, I just walked
around smiling and telling my home how glad I was to see it again! (Yeah,
Dennis thought it was a bit strange, too!)
We are quickly returning to life as usual. Dennis is in the
process of demolishing the hall bathroom and hopes to have it rebuilt before
Thanksgiving company arrives. He came home rejuvenated from this trip! He was
busy all day yesterday mowing the grass and replacing the battery in his truck
(which was dead when we got home), and getting the oil changed in the
Highlander. I haven’t been quite as energetic, but I’ve gotten all of the unpacking
and laundry done and started back into my normal routine. We are both ready to
get back into our regular lives until our next grand adventure, hopefully in
the fall of 2021!
No comments:
Post a Comment