It has been a busy week! Dennis went for his first of two root canals on Monday. He went to a specialist...an endodontist in FW. The procedure ended up taking over an hour longer than the doctor has thought it would. The infection had invaded the bone. He cleaned everything out really well and put Dennis back on antibiotics for another week. Thankfully, though, Dennis hasn't really had any pain to speak of from the procedure. He has to be careful eating, but has done very well considering. He is scheduled to go back to have the other side done Monday. He's waiting until the last minute to make his final decision to go ahead. Right now he has to eat on one side of his mouth. If the soreness isn't cleared up by Monday, he'll have to postpone or he won't have a good side to eat on. We are hoping that this will save those two teeth. If these root canals fail (they are both the second time around), he'll end up losing those teeth, which we really don't want! Poor guy has suffered with bad teeth his whole life. For some reason they have always been very brittle and easily broken. He has always taken excellent care of his teeth, so I guess it is just a genetic thing.
Dennis' back also started acting up again this week. He rarely knows what sets it off. He's been using his inversion table and back massager. With taking time off from doing construction, it looks like that may have done the trick. He isn't 100% yet, but he is much better. (Getting old is SO much fun!)
Nam came for a two night sleepover this week. It was our first time to see him since before vacation. We were all ready! He is such a pleasure to have around. He's always been a sweet, fun kid; but he has gotten even more so since Sheila and Matt got married. That kid really needed a complete family! Matt is such a good dad, too. His thoughtfulness has really rubbed off on Nam.
Nam slept GREAT the first night here...not getting up until almost 7. So I decided to stay up until my normal bedtime (around 11:30 or so). I do great with 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Any more than that and I wake up hurting (more than usual). Any less, and I am a zombie. Well, Nam was wide awake at 6 the next morning. I tried to coax him into going back to sleep, to no avail. Finally at 6:10, he was standing up in the middle of my bed saying, "Granny, can we get up now?" (Dennis had long since gone to sleep in another room.) So it was off to the kitchen and a mega-cup of coffee!
We were supposed to have our gas fireplace installed today, but they called and said a part hadn't come in yet. So we'll have to wait until later next week. We were so disappointed. The weather is getting perfect for a fire right now. It was hot and humid yesterday, but we woke up to a cool front this morning. It was thundering and raining...perfect sleeping in weather! I was SO looking forward to snuggling in front of a fire tonight. Oh well...we've gone this long. Another week won't make much difference.
Dennis didn't get any work done this week, other than a little attic work. With his dental work and Nam's visit, he didn't want to get into anything. Since we've had the delay on the fireplace, he is back at it today. He should be able to start putting up sheetrock this weekend in the bathroom. That should go pretty quickly in such a small space. I will be SO excited when we start installing all of the new fixtures. It is going to look REALLY different in there, and I am missing having two working bathrooms!
I go next week for my steroid shot in my right shoulder. I am really looking forward to that. The last one only lasted a week. When the doctor was doing the left shoulder, he found that he had to go extra deep for it to be effective. He didn't do that on my first shot on the right side... but he should have. Hopefully modifying how he gives the next shot will give me more relief. My right arm is pretty useless right now. Thankfully, my left one has done much better since my shots in it. I guess the inflammation just never can get the relief it needs without the steroids...it just keeps getting worse with time. Once that is taken care of, healing can take place. I am really trying to avoid having to have surgery! I've learned that surgery doesn't always eliminate the problem, and the recovery can be worse than the original problem.
Well, that's what's been happening around here. I hope you are enjoying the change in weather and staying healthy!

No comments:
Post a Comment