Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Master, the Tempest is Raging

What a season for storms!  Hoping and praying that all are safe...especially those in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri.  I got a call from Ricky last night, who was ready to head to a shelter.  Haven't heard anything since, but the news didn't show Ft. Smith being hit.  We've been very blessed not to have been in the violent storms' paths.  We got a little hail last night...some as big as ping-pong balls...but it wasn't hard and didn't last long.  It was kind of fun to watch, since it didn't cause damage.

Mandy and Stacey B. came down for the weekend to have a girls' weekend with Sheila and Jessica.  Friday night, we all went to watch the new "Pirates" movie together.  Fun time with my girls!  Saturday morning, I had to be in FW.  I had accidentally come home with the keys to the Ronald McDonald House in my pocket Friday afternoon!  They only have one set that is shared by all volunteers and cleaning personnel...and I think by the weekend staff, as well.  So I got the keys over there by 9:00 and decided to make it a day of shopping while in FW.  I really enjoyed myself.  I made it home around 4:00 that afternoon.

Due to the looming storms, Mandy left right after services Sunday morning, so we really didn't get to visit with her.  Stacey had to get back to her dogs, so it was just our two girls over for dinner.  That evening, we had a  group go to Rosa's for supper.  It had been quite a while since Charles and Linda had been able to join us, so we really enjoyed our time together.

Last week, Dennis went back to the doctor for his blood pressure check.  He started taking medication a few weeks ago.  His blood pressure was still just a tad higher than the doctor wanted, so he upped his dosage by 50%.  About 2 hours after taking it that evening, Dennis woke up coughing uncontrollably.  He coughed all night and developed a rash on his arm.  He determined that it was a reaction to the medication and quit taking it.  He continued to have a bad cough and raw throat and started developing sinus symptoms as well.  He went back to the doctor yesterday and got a prednisone pack and a different blood pressure medication.  The doctor told him he was allergic to ACE inhibitors.  By bedtime, he was already feeling much better from taking the prednisone...and his blood pressure was already falling back to a high normal range.

Anita called yesterday and the therapists that work with her dad at the nursing home told her that if he continues to improve as he has over the past week, that he should be able to go home around the end of June.  What wonderful and surprising news!  I guess the antidepressants are finally working well enough that he has decided to really work at his therapy.  Up until last week, he basically refused to do anything...including eating.  I hope that he continues to improve and can go back home.  In the meantime, they are contracting some modifications to their house to make it easier to get around in a wheelchair.  Hopefully, he won't be needing the chair much though.

I've started crocheting a rectangular doily to put on the chest of drawers the kids gave me for Mothers Day.  I designed the main part, which has my "Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much" on it.  I found a pretty border design on the internet that I plan to finish it off with.  I haven't done filet crochet or worked with crochet thread in MANY years.  My hands are giving me a little trouble with it.  I can only do 2 or 3 rows at a time before they start going numb on me.  But I'm making pretty good progress...over half way done with the main area.

We have a long weekend coming up this weekend.  The post office is closed Monday for Memorial Day and Dennis' day off is Tuesday.  The girls are planning to be in Alva, and Stephen and Mandy have a trip planned to Eureka Springs, so Dennis and I are trying to decide what to do with our extra time off.  (That is, of course, dependent on whether he actually gets his day off!)

I hope everyone stays safe and has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

 Na 1:3 The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment