Monday, August 8, 2011

Life goes on

So much has happened since this time last week!  As most, if not all of you know, my Uncle Buddy passed away last Tuesday...on Ricky's birthday.  Our two families are strangely interconnected in death.  My mom passed away on the same day that Anita (Buddy's daughter) received her confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer.  Therefore she will always remember the day Momma died, and I will always remember the day Uncle Buddy died.  (She probably would anyway, but her memory is MUCH better than mine)

The remainder of the week was pretty much focused on the family and the funeral preparations.  His funeral was Saturday morning, with a lunch for the family immediately following.  It was beginning to look like we wouldn't be able to find a suitable location for the dinner...trying to find a facility on a Saturday in the summertime around here is almost impossible.  The family finally located a room at one of the local motels that was available.  We were a little panicky when we saw how small it was (it would only seat around 60 people...which was about how many family were expected).  But everything worked out fine.  The funeral had a huge turnout...standing room only!  Most of the people left before going to the cemetery.  I'm sure the heat discouraged most people.  We got to the room at 11:30, got everything set up, got everyone fed after they returned from the cemetery, got everything cleaned up and were out of there at 2 minutes before 2:00, which was our "checkout" time.  We were sweating it (in more ways than one)!  I think everyone headed home and threw off their sweaty clothes and got comfortable as soon as possible.  At least I know I did!  I know the family will have some difficult time ahead of them, dealing with their grief and missing Buddy.  However, I think everyone is relieved for his sake that his suffering has finally come to an end.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone as ready to go as he was.  So nice to know that he is at peace now!

We had a wonderful Lord's Day yesterday.  Our crowd was small due to several attending Eastside to be with Frieda, plus others were gone on vacation.  But the assembly was great!  The girls came over for lunch and then the four of us napped all afternoon.  Back to an even smaller assembly that evening, but it was a good group!  Afterwards most of us went to eat together at McAlister's Deli and visited until almost 9:00.  Layne and Heather noticed a woman sitting alongside the road as we arrived at the restaurant, so they went out to check on her situation.  She had no place to stay the night and no money, so Layne took her down to the Super 8 and got her a room.  She was needing a ride to Dallas today, so Charles, Linda and Heather were going to see about taking her.  We spent a good portion of our visit discussing ways to help others in the community.  I'm so thankful that we have such good-hearted people that are concerned with helping those around them!

I heard from Bobbie this morning.  They took Daddy to the hand specialist in FW and everything looked fine.  Daddy's wrist was set properly, so they put him in a cast and told him to come back in a couple of weeks.  He is having very little pain associated with his break.  He took a pain pill on Thursday (the day he broke it) but hasn't had one since.  So very thankful for that!

I hope that everyone's week goes well and no one suffers any ill effects from the heat.  Please keep the Putman family in your prayers.  The reality of losing Buddy will be hitting them now that life is "getting back to normal". 

Ps 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment