Monday, August 1, 2011

Listen

I read a book last week entitled “Listen”.  It is the story of a town that was torn apart because someone started posting private conversations on the internet...on a website called “listen to yourself”.  The theme of the book has strongly been on my mind.  Then Jamie gave a wonderful lesson yesterday morning about friendship that tied in very well with my thoughts.  I decided to share those thoughts with you.  (I ask for your forbearance up front.  I’m not a talented writer and my thoughts rarely come out in an orderly and easily followed pattern.  I’m just “speaking” from my heart.   Mt 12:34 ...for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.)

I have struggled my whole life with my tongue.  I know all the verses that tell us how to use or not use our tongue, and I truly have tried to obey those verses.  I consistently fail.  I also realize that this is a universal problem.  Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.  However that doesn’t negate our responsibility to do our best in this regard.  We make excuses; we mean well; we only discuss others with our spouse, or best friend, or family; we do it out of concern.  Sometimes it is necessary to discuss others, but we should be so very careful to make sure we are not making excuses for ourselves before speaking.

The conversations that are exposed in this book are private conversations...often between a husband and wife in the privacy of their own home.  What’s wrong with that?  How would we feel if those private conversations were shared with the person that we are discussing?  Ec 10:20 Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter.  Even if our intent isn’t to hurt or belittle, would it do so if overheard?  As Jesus told us, we speak what is in our hearts.  Therefore we need to truly examine our hearts.  Are all of our conversations directed by love?  One of my favorite anchor verses is:  Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Why is it my anchor verse?  Not because I excel at doing this, but because I constantly struggle with it!  If our hearts and minds are being focused on these good things, then our lips will speak accordingly. Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.  Our fruit should show forth these things...and it will if our hearts are properly cultivated.  And, of course, we can’t forget the characteristics of love that should be firmly implanted in our lives:  1Co 13:4  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Another common excuse for misusing our words is that we are “just kidding.”  How many hurtful and damaging things have been said in jest?  Eph 5:3  But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.  People make fun of others because of their weight, their excess of or lack of hair, their complexion, their intelligence or lack of, their clothes....the list is endless.  Being put down is NOT funny!  As long as I can remember, people have teased my dad about his stomach.  He’s never been a large man and would never be characterized as fat...except for his stomach.  He doesn’t appear to be bothered by it and will also joke about it, but if people said those things to or about me, it would devastate me.  I don’t know of anyone who enjoys being overweight (or underweight, or ugly, or stupid, etc.).  So why do we think it is funny to talk about it?  Why do we think it is RIGHT to do so?  Job 15:2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind? 3 Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good?
Col 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Words are so very powerful!  Pr 18:21  Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.  Before we hand our children a hunting rifle, we teach them to use it safely and correctly.  Before we allow someone to operate a motor vehicle, they must first be instructed in the safe and lawful operation of it and pass a written exam as well as demonstrate their driving proficiency.  The tongue is much more powerful and dangerous than either of these.  Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. 7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: 8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.  Words can also be powerful in a positive direction.  They can comfort, inspire, teach, encourage.  Pr 16:24  Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.   Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.  1Th 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

I plan to work harder to control the beast.  I pray that God will  “create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me” (Ps 51:10).   I hope to be slow to speak and truly consider the words of my mouth, that they be “in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them;” (Prov. 8:8), that they be “as deep waters” (Prov. 18:4), and “gracious” (Eccl. 10:12).  I ask for your prayers, as well, for all of us to improve.  I feel that this is something that we all struggle with daily, but I want to emphasize that this is primarily directed at myself.
 Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Ps 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Ps 141:3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

Tit 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment