This has been a week of contemplation for me...lots on my mind. I'm struggling to bring my life closer to how God would have me to be...looking for ways that I can be more helpful to others...striving to improve my attitude and outlook. I've had the "blahs" for a good long while and have really wrestled with it. Depression and I are not strangers, but I thought that I had pretty much moved past that in my life since hormones no longer dictate my moods. I haven't really felt "sad" or had a lot of the more common symptoms, but something has been "off" for a long time. Depression makes me angry at myself (redundant, I know, since depression is often anger turned inward). I've decided I've got to DO something to get out of this slump!
The first thing I did was sit down and make "the list". Looking at the things that I'm unhappy with vs. the blessings that I have. Doing it mentally doesn't seem to do the trick with me, but seeing it laid out on paper (or the computer screen nowadays) helps me better to see things in the proper perspective. And, of course, my blessings always outweigh my complaints! Counting your blessings...simple concept, powerful tool!
As always when the blues take hold of me, I've found that reaching out to help others helps me so much more. It is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are ministering to others who are hurting. I've been less than satisfied with my volunteer job for a good while. I started off going to the Ronald McDonald House once a week, but ended up having to cut back to once every other week. The drive is just too far. Plus my duties were necessary, but not very fulfilling. I know that my chores were things that needed to be done and made things easier for the staff and parents at the house, but I didn't really interact with the people I was there to help. I decided to resign from there and find something closer to home where I feel like I can be of more benefit. I plan to go talk to The Center of Hope, in Weatherford, this week about a once a week position with them. I'm very excited to find out more. Heather and Linda and I have been discussing trying to work up enough ladies from our congregation to serve a meal there once a month. We still need to investigate more to see what all is involved, but we are hoping that would provide a good way for our group to reach out to the community.
All in all, it has been a good week! I feel happy and have several things on my mind that have me excited about future opportunities. We enjoyed a wonderful Lord's Day today: had two very good and inspiring lessons; enjoyed some great fellowship; and feel renewed in my spirit from praising God in song. I heard from Ricky twice this weekend, and he sounds great! AND we were blessed with at least 2 inches of rain this weekend. God is good!
Ps 116:7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment