| At the park entrance |
| Taking a rest |
We left early Tuesday morning and headed back to Texas. We followed along the edge of the Guadalupe Mtns. in southern NM and then headed to the Davis Mtns. in Texas. We enjoyed the beautiful sites along the way and ended up at our destination for the night in Alpine. I loved this town! I want to return sometime and spend more time exploring! That evening we headed back into the mountains to attend a "Star Party" at the McDonald Observatory. It was amazing! The stars were so bright, we were able to view an awesome meteor streak across the sky, and we viewed the "stripes" on Jupiter through one of their telescopes.
| Our cabin in Terlingua |
After a leisurely Wednesday morning, we headed down into Big Bend country. My "skills" at finding unusual accommodations is still intact as is in evidence by our cabin I rented in Terlingua. At least it was clean, although it had a strong smoky odor. It was in the perfect location, tho, for viewing both the state and national parks. We spent all Wednesday afternoon, until dark, viewing the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The road is sandwiched between the south border of the park on one side and the Rio Grande River on the other (which is bordered on the south side by even more mountains on the Mexican side). As the sun started to set, we parked our car and hiked back off the road a ways to try to view some wildlife. We heard car doors, and as we approached our car on our return were greeted with the sight of the border patrol checking us out! They decided we weren't illegal, so they waved and went on their way.
| We found this bluebonnet blooming...in November! |
We spent all day Thursday going through the Big Bend National Park...such a HUGE, diverse piece of wilderness! It includes vast Chihuahuan desert, the beautiful oasis of the Chisos Basin, and the lush wetlands of the Hot Springs along the river. My favorite was the Chisos Basin...such a gorgeous place. We even saw a bear!
| "The Window" |
| "Our" bear - he enjoyed a nice long sunning while all the guests at the Chisos Lodge watched! |
Today was a long day of driving home, but we made it safely. It was good to be back and see Ricky. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my bed tonight! The past week was one I'll never forget: the quietness and beauty of God's creation...away from the interference of man.
Ps 104:24 O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.
Great travel blog Linda. I wished I had of know you guys were going down and I could have helped you with some accomodations. I just retured from a 3 week stay in Terlingua. I have been makes multi-week trips to that area at least 2 X a year for the past 30 years. I have a lot of friends there and feel so connected to the "space." It is really special for me and I suppose some day I may even own a small cabin there. I know of no better place to get away. As I'm sure you can imagine, spendinh weeks there at a time can really change your outlook for the better. I'm thrilled you got to experience it. P.S I've stayed in all of those cabins at Easter Egg Hotel several times although I usually stay in the yellow one. If you ever decide to return, let me know and I can help you maximize your trip. Glad you guys are home safe. Hasta Luega, David
ReplyDelete