Monday, November 26, 2012

Back to the real world

Well, vacation is over and Dennis has gone back to work.  It was a great two weeks!  I loved our trip out west and the special time we shared.  I always love the week of Thanksgiving...all the special food preparation and time with friends and family.  I love our family traditions on Thanksgiving, and I love it that my kids feel the same.  Even tho I always like to try out new recipes, there are some things that must not change:  turkey, Maxine's recipe for dressing and candied sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, having deviled eggs and olives on the table, and ALWAYS having pie and homemade candy for dessert (especially pecan and pumpkin - or sweet potato - pie!).  A game of train after dinner is a must...this year made extra lively by the addition of Sherrod!  Then the day always has to end with a viewing of "It's a Wonderful Life."  It does my heart good to watch this beautiful story each year and see the tears being wiped from the eyes of my loved ones...as I wipe my own.





Dennis and I did a VERY laid-back version of Black Friday.  We slept in, breakfasted at What-a-Burger, and then hit WalMart around 9:00 a.m.  So we miss some bargains, but we enjoy a relaxed shopping experience and still find a few good deals. 

We enjoyed another wonderful Lord's Day yesterday.  Mike gave an excellent lesson about not compromising our Christianity.  It was one of those assemblies where everything seemed almost choreographed.  The first song fell right in line with the opening prayer.  The song after the main prayer followed the closing thoughts of the prayer that proceeded it.  I love how the Lord works on the hearts of those leading the assembly! 

We were saddened yesterday to learn of the passing of Brother Emmett Terry.  Our families have been friends for about 45 years.  He was a gentle man with a big heart and will be greatly missed!

Brother Jim Fox is back in the hospital.  He was taken by ambulance on Wednesday...having difficulty breathing.  Turns out that even while on a hefty dose of Coumadin, he had a blood clot break loose and travel to his lungs.  He is feeling much better now!  This morning they are inserting a filter into his veins to keep any clots from going to his heart or lungs.  Hopefully he will be back in rehab in a couple of days and home soon after.  It was good to see him looking good and laughing and smiling last night.  Please continue to keep him and his dear wife, Mary, in your prayers.

Well, I guess I'd better get to my day...back to my "normal" schedule.  I hope all of you had a pleasant time with family and friends over the Thanksgiving weekend and have a good week to come!

Ps 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment