Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Lot of Giving Going On!

I am moving pretty slowly this morning.  Last night was our Relay for Life.  I was on Ricky's (Titan Bank) team this year.  It was his first year to captain a team.  It takes a LOT of work to be a team captain, and I'm proud of the job he did!  It was fun to watch him last night with the little kids.  Our booth had piñatas and pin the tail on the donkey (which we never actually got around to playing).  He was so sweet with all the little ones who came to try their hand at the piñatas.  (It was amazing to me that NONE of the kids who played had ever done it before!)  We didn't actually make any money at the event, but we had a good year of fundraising over all.  And we all had a good time last night!  The plans were to spend the whole night, but we decided to pack it up and come home around 2:30.  I can tell you...this old woman was happy about THAT decision!  I actually got over 6 hours of sleep in my bed!  (It would have been more but, as happens frequently after Relay, I woke up with a killer sinus headache.)

This has been a great week!  A dear friend of ours from church had given us LOTS of pecans (I'm talking 1 1/2 feed sacks full).  I gave some away, but have been trying to whittle away at cracking and shelling the rest.  I currently have about 2 1/2 gallons of nutmeats in the freezer right now (and I haven't been shy about using them).  I still have about 3/4 of a sack full left to crack and shell.  I'll stay busy with this job for awhile! 

I spent a good bit of time this week working on soliciting donations for a trip I am wanting to make for my CASA babies.  My youngest CASA kids (ages 1 and 2) are waiting to go live in their "forever" home with their grandmother.  Their parents lost their parental rights and are both serving long prison sentences for the injury that they caused to the youngest (who was starved almost to death).  CPS usually sends one worker to transport the children.  The one they have chosen to do this transport (which will involve driving an hour to the airport, flying for  4-6 hours, then driving another hour in a rental car to their destination), is a brand new caseworker who has NEVER MET the children.  I did not want the kids to go through the stress of taking that long of a journey with a stranger, so I have been checking into the possibility of me going along to help.  After obtaining permission from both CPS and our CASA executive director, we started focusing on how to PAY for the trip (CPS will not pay for non-employees expenses).  My program director worked up a letter to use for fundraising purposes, which we started circulating this week.  Within 24 hours, I had the funds guaranteed!  My dear daughter planned a bake sale at the bank (along with her wonderful co-workers).  They are experts in baking and selling pies!  They already have orders for 40 pies at $20 each.  They are also going to auction off a couple of cakes that I will be making (bids are already up to over $100).  PLUS the bank president has already given me a check for $1000!  I was flabbergasted!!!  I will have plenty of money for the trip, and all the extra money will be donated back into our local CASA.  The bake sale will be this next week...just in time for Mother's Day.  We plan to transport my babies the last week of the month.  I'm very excited to meet their grandmother face-to-face.  We have spent a LOT of hours talking and texting each other, as well as sending emails back and forth.  It will be great to finally get to meet her and see the kids' new home!  Plus it will give me all those extra hours to be with my babies one last time and help make their trip "home" a little easier.  I am SO thankful for the help of all those who have contributed to making this happen!

Ac 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment