Monday, July 15, 2013

A Time of Refreshing


I have so much in my heart right now that I hardly know where to begin!  I spent a much needed and greatly appreciated weekend at Spunky Creek.  I almost backed out of going, since I didn’t look forward to that LONG drive by myself.  I am SO thankful that I decided to go ahead and go!  I have discovered that sometimes you need several hours alone, when you can’t do anything else, to work through some stuff.  I spent the drive up talking to myself, talking to and singing praises to God, and talking to a dear friend on the phone.  (I really am NOT good at talking on the phone and will hardly do it…unless I’m stuck in a car by myself.)  I was already feeling rejuvenated when I arrived at the meeting Friday night, and then….WOW!  The meeting was OUTSTANDING!!!  The lessons were great.  (Good job, Gabe, Jesse, Garrett and Justin!  Sorry I missed yours, Cody!)  The singing was spine-tinglingly beautiful.  And the fellowship…sublime.

I want to express, publicly, my thanks to the Spunky Creek congregation for hosting this event.  I know how much work it takes to prepare for and host such a meeting…all the planning, cleaning, cooking, serving, cleaning up….your efforts did not go unnoticed or appreciated.  I loved getting a chance to get to know all of you better.  I feel greatly blessed to have you in my life.  It was also wonderful to have the opportunity to visit with so many others from other places that were there!  I tried to get around to talking with everyone, but time wouldn’t allow me to visit as much as I would have liked with everyone.  However, the sweet fellowship and encouragement of all that I did get around to was invaluable.

The crowd was great…100-120 each assembly.  The age range was from 1 month to 80ish.  There were over 40 kids, of all ages, that were a joy to watch…5 of whom were less than 1 year of age. (I will cherish the sweet smiles and hugs I stole from little Lydia, Piper and Evie!)  Saturday night, at Craig and Julie’s, was perfect!  There were groups of kids scattered all over the place…riding horses, jumping on the trampoline, see-sawing, and playing volleyball.  The comfortably spacious yard was a great place for all the adults to congregate and visit and watch the kids play.  The entertainment…provided by the married couples…was hilarious!  (I am definitely going to have to remember that one for a future local event!)

I was concerned about driving home yesterday…afraid I would be so tired and sleepy, traveling alone.  My mind was so full; however, that it wasn’t a problem at all!  I cogitated on the lessons that I’d heard, went over conversations that I’d had with so many, did a lot more talking to myself and praying and praising God, and counted my blessings each mile of the way.  I would turn on the radio or a CD and quickly be reminded, in a song, of something.  Off would go the radio, and my mind and heart would take off.  I had SO MUCH that I wanted to share in this post, but, alas, my memory has the retention capabilities of a sieve. 

One thing I do remember and want to share.  I was listening to John Denver’s “Sunshine on My Shoulder”.  The line “I’d wish for you, the sun shine all the time” made me stop and think.  I DON’T wish that for anyone.  If we all had nothing but sunshiny days and good experiences, we would miss out on the depth and substance of life and God’s grace and mercy.  Without the “rain” we couldn’t gain the wisdom and compassion that we need.  We couldn’t truly appreciate the sweet peace and comfort that we receive from God and his children.  We could never truly appreciate the sunshine that blesses our lives, without the pains and sorrow that come with the storms.  Thank God for the storms of life that mold and shape us and teach us more fully of His love, and mercy and compassion!

2Co 4:15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. 16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Ro 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted.

1 comment: