Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sundry things...


Well, summer hasn’t quite let go of us yet!  Temperatures are back up in the 100° range.

Dennis went to Spur last Saturday night and took the Young guys with him.  They put up a deer feeder and did a little scouting.  This will be Ryan and Parker’s first time to hunt…and they are pretty excited!  I think all the guys enjoyed their trip.

I’ve decided to start bowling regularly.  I really enjoy the game, but I am really bad at it!  I definitely need more practice.  Ricky and I went last week and I bowled pretty good (for me!) on my first game…a 114.  I went this week by myself to practice and bowled a 104 on my first game.  (I refuse to disclose the scores of my second games to avoid self-incrimination.)  I’m hoping, with time and practice, that I might actually learn to bowl consistently!

I’ve discovered a way to get a “good” core workout…contract food poisoning!  I came down with a case Tuesday night and hugged the toilet for about 2 ½ hours.  My stomach, side and back muscles are sore today!  I don’t even get this sore doing situps!  I really don’t recommend it though.  As much as I dislike doing situps, I would much prefer them to the other!

Dennis is actually getting his long weekend this week…tacked onto a Monday holiday!  I don’t know if that has ever happened before.  We decided to take advantage of it and take a little mini-vacation.  We loved our 1-night stay in the town of Alpine last year on our trip out west, and I’ve always wanted to return for a longer stay.  Dennis suggested taking this opportunity to do just that, so I made reservations.  We have an appointment on Friday morning, but plan to head out as soon as we finish.  We’ve never visited the church in Van Horn, so we plan to do that on Sunday.  Sure looking forward to revisiting the lovely Davis Mtns. and exploring the sights of Alpine!  Also looking forward to some restorative time with just the two of us!

Tuesday was Jessica’s birthday.  She and Sheila came over for her birthday supper of shrimp fajitas and angel food cake with berries.  (Hopefully, I’m the only one who developed food poisoning from the shrimp…think I contracted it while handling the raw seafood!)  Later that night, she went downtown to wait for the filming of the zombie movie.  Unfortunately they had postponed filming, but the word hadn’t made it out to the public.  A lot of people showed up and stood around for nothing.  She was really hoping she could be an extra in a movie on her birthday.

Fall softball season is about to start.  Ricky formed a new team out of those from their spring team that wanted to come back, plus scouted out strong players from some of the other local teams.  Their first game is in a week or two.  I look forward to watching…hopefully they will win some this season!

Take care and try to stay cool during these last dog days of August!

Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment