Thursday, August 21, 2014

Home Sweet Home


Thurs, Day 253:  When we bought this house, we didn’t plan to stay in it permanently.  We liked it, but it wasn’t exactly what we wanted in a few areas and hoped to be able to “upgrade” eventually.  We have been looking for something else over the past few weeks.  (We’ve actually been looking online for over a year.)  I never have liked the thought of taking on a larger mortgage…especially right when we are about to retire.  After looking at a couple of houses in our price range, I began to realize that we aren’t going to find what we are looking for.  So yesterday, I started thinking creatively about how we could turn this house into what we want…and I believe it will work.  I’ve always liked this house…from the first time I looked at it.  I don’t like the kitchen, but I think we can make it much more efficient by tearing everything out and redoing it.  I really want a guest room AND an office, and I’ve figured out a way to do that…by building on a sunroom where our patio is.  (All that house shopping has paid off there…some of the houses I liked the best had done that very thing!)  Our bedroom lacks adequate closet space, so Dennis figured out a way to build a second closet…so we’ll have one for each of us.  We are looking at some major remodeling, but I believe it will be cheaper than buying something else.  We live in a good neighborhood and a good location for our needs.  Our house will be paid off in about 12 years.  Dennis has rewired most of the house.  (It had aluminum wiring when we bought it, so he’s been replacing it with copper…and adding extra plugs and such.)  We’ve already replaced the a/c.  Once Dennis retires, he will have plenty of time to do the necessary work.  (Everyone keeps asking me what he plans to do when he retires!)  AND we won’t have to move!  (I HATE moving!!!)

So today, I am thankful for my house.  It is about 50 years old, but it is solid.  It needs some major work done, but it will be fun to finally fix up a house the way we want it.  Plus, after living here for the past 8 years, it is HOME.

4 comments:

  1. Roger Miller once observed that "you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd but you can be happy if you've a mind to". this seems to what the Apostle Paul had in mind when he said " I have learned what so ever state I am in there with to be content". Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! Today's society can "trick" us into thinking we need more and better. We already have SO much more than most people have ever had.

      Delete
    2. Wish my brother-in-law could do your work. He is amazing, reputable, honest and a good Christian man. He does work out of town some so I guess it's not totally out of the question. Our home is also small but already paid off, so we are staying put too. Our house was built in 1927 and is in one of the oldest residential sections in Amarillo with brick streets and tall trees that overhang over the road. I love it. So blessed.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, but Dennis will do most, if not all, of the work. We won't start until he retires next March. That will keep him busy for awhile!

      Delete