Saturday, the Reddings and Darnells hosted a get-together in the common room of the housing development where Wayne and Mayrene live. It also served as a surprise graduation party for Toby. Heather called me Thursday to see if I could do a cake, so I spent most of the day Friday working on that. (It definitely takes me longer these days than when I was doing cakes full time!) Sheila rode with me to the party, since the guys both had to work.
The party was great! Toby was very surprised. In fact, when we started singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow", he sang along...not knowing that we were singing to him! We ate sandwiches and snacks, played 42 and Apples to Apples, and enjoyed visiting one with another. Toby and I teamed up for one hand of 42. I rarely play 42...maybe once every couple of years...so I have to constantly be reminded of the rules! Toby had never played before. I guess we had "beginner's luck" because we handily beat our talented opponents. It was a hoot!
Later, I was sitting around talking to Linda, Karen, Dora, and Nancy. I was relating a story from one of our Mother/Daughter trips about a haunted hay ride we had gone on. One of the women who was also in our group (on the hayride) was a "true believer." She regaled us with stories of her other ghost hunting ventures. She "explained" that most 2nd hand furniture is haunted. I was laughing about it rather exuberantly when I leaned back....and my chair broke! I went over backwards, in slow motion, and landed flat on my back...with my legs sticking up in the air. Everyone died laughing...no one more so than myself! (The timing was just too perfect!) Then folks decided they had better check to see if I was ok, which I was...not a bump or bruise on me. (What lengths some folks will go to for attention!)
We enjoyed a wonderful Lord's Day yesterday! It was a chilly one though. We arrived at the church house and noticed that even though the heater was running continuously, it wasn't getting any warmer. The guys checked the propane tank, which showed that it was still 20% full. But the heater would just blow out cold air...and no one could make it stop. They finally flipped the breaker, and the room became a little more comfortable. Needless to say, a lot of blankets and throws were in use during the services! James took one really good picture, but I don't have access to it...and it was adamantly stated that it could NOT be posted online! Regardless of the cold, we enjoyed two good services and plenty of fellowship.
Just 2 weeks until our Mother/Daughter Trip! I am really getting excited. Sheila has our itinerary planned out and most of our tickets purchased for our activities. I hope the weather is nice and the flowers are blooming! New Orleans is such a beautiful and unique city. And there is no better way to enjoy it than with my girls!
No comments:
Post a Comment