Wednesday, March 4, 2015

More winter weather, health updates, and retirement draws nearer

Well...I hope that all of this bad weather is having the desired effect of breaking our extreme drought!  I don't know how much precipitation we've gotten in all (rain, sleet and snow combined), but it has been SEVERAL inches.  It is rough on those who can't get out and work though!  Ricky was able to work yesterday, but they called off any work today due to the rain.  All the ice and snow have finally melted off from last week, but it sounds like we might see more before the day is over.  I really would like to know if our lake level has risen any!  The last report we heard, it was at 8%.

Well, we made it to the podiatrist last Friday morning, in spite of the bad roads.  The office staff and doctor were there, but they were starting to call patients to tell them not to come in when we arrived.  I am SO glad that Dennis was off to drive me!  I'm not very experienced at driving on frozen roads.  The xrays showed that my pain is due to a bone spur on the back of my heel.  The doctor said it will probably have to be "remodeled" eventually, but for now we will treat the inflammation that it has caused.  I'm doing stretching exercises and wearing a heel lift in my shoes, as well as taking an oral anti-inflammatory.  It seems to be helping a great deal.  I hardly ever limp anymore (whereas I was limping all the time before).  I have to avoid walking for exercise until the inflammation has cleared up, which he said would take 4-6 weeks.  I go back next week for him to see how I'm progressing.

I've started a new diet plan this week.  It has a 14-day jump start menu.  It is a high-protein diet that emphasizes all natural foods.  It is too early to see how it is going to do, but it keeps me pretty satisfied, as long as I follow the guidelines.  It requires a lot of cooking though!  Even the snacks are like small regular meals.  I'm hoping I can lose about 10 pounds in the 3 weeks I have before vacation!  (There is NO way that I'm going to worry about dieting while in New Orleans!)

Retirement is just 4 weeks away.  Dennis is definitely feeling like a short-timer.  It is so hard to be motivated to go to work every day...especially in all of this harsh weather.  He perseveres though.  :)  All of his paperwork has been processed, so all we have to do is wait until the big day.

Dennis has started to plan our fall vacation.  We are really looking forward to it!  This year we plan to head northeast to see the changing leaves.  There is SO much that we want to see, I doubt that we'll be able to squeeze it all in.

Frieda is still struggling with her recovery.  She has regained much of her strength, but last week she suffered a setback.  They think she had a TIA, but Anita thinks it is an injury from a fall that is causing her a lot of pain in her shoulder and arm.  She is also going to have to undergo more tests to see about a problem that she's been having for over a month now.  She seems to take a step back every time she takes one forward.

Anita went to her orthopedic surgeon this morning.  Her fracture has healed, so they have scheduled her knee replacement surgery to be in 2 weeks.  She has sure been in a lot of pain.  I'm afraid she still has a rough road ahead of her.  Continued prayers for her and her mom would be greatly appreciated!

Numbers 6:24-26  The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment