From The Quilt, by T. Davis Bunn: “And I saw how all the things that I worried
about were shadows that kept me from seeing what I really needed to do which
was be thankful.”
A Johns Hopkins
doctor says that "we do not know why it is that the worriers die sooner
than the non-worriers, but that is a fact." But I, who am simple of mind,
think I know; we are inwardly constructed, in nerve and tissue and brain cell
and soul, for faith and not for fear. God made us that way. Therefore, the need
of faith is not something imposed on us dogmatically, but it is written in us
intrinsically. We cannot live without it. To live by worry is to live against
Reality.
Eli Stanley Jones (1884 - ?) The Bible is full of reminders that God is our help in time of trouble...that it is our job to praise and trust Him!
2Sa 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
Ps 9:9 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a
refuge in times of trouble. 10 And they
that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not
forsaken them that seek thee. 11 Sing
praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion :
declare among the people his doings.
Ps 37:7 Rest in the LORD, and wait
patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his
way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. 8 Cease from
anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. 9 For
evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall
inherit the earth. 10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea,
thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. 11 But the meek
shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of
peace.
It is so easy to praise God and be thankful when things are going well. However, the scriptures teach us to do so especially when we are faced with problems. God is there to comfort us, if we allow Him. Trusting in Him, especially when it is hard, when life is scary, is the true test of our faith. I feel like such a failure in this! Even though God has seen me through everything in my life, and has always worked good for me, I still succumb to worry.
Php 4:6 Be
careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with
thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace
of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are
pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if
there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those
things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me,
do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
I hope and pray that as each new trial comes my way that I will grow in my faith and put aside the worry that only hurts. God is faithful. I pray that I will increase in my faithfulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment