We are having a little respite from the extreme heat this
week. Temperatures are still hovering around 100°, but that sure beats the 110+ that
we had last week! It has been a hard summer for folks who have to work outside!
Last time I did an update, we were about to take Nam to see
the 4th of July fireworks. He enjoyed them, but he was much more
interested in going to see the Fire Chief (which we weren’t able to do). That
kid loves firemen, policemen and EMTs!
Nam went for his 6 month follow-up visit to the
international adoption clinic this week. He has grown about 1.5” and gained
just over a pound. Nothing we do seems to put weight on that kid! But he is
healthy and growing…he’s just probably always going to be thin. I’m going to
start fixing him smoothies every afternoon to see if that helps. It is a good
way to get extra fruit/fiber in him anyway (plus protein from the Greek
yogurt). He is on target in all of his developmental milestones, and the nurse
practitioner was very impressed with his intelligence and language skills. I
just love listening to him talk. He has the sweetest little voice and is a very
interesting conversationist! I wish I could remember all of his cute sayings,
but they are too many. One of my favorite things is when he gets in a play
argument with his action figures (and Grandad). He will keep saying “Yes (or
no), sir!” in that certain tone of voice that means he’s not budging!
I had a good birthday week. After Sheila picked Nam up on
the 17th, we drove to Granbury to spend the night. When Dennis asked
what I wanted to do for my 60th birthday, I said I’d really like to
go to the beach. Since we didn’t have time to do that, I decided we’d just go
to the city beach in Granbury. Ha! We had a nice shrimp dinner and waited until
just before sunset before going. There were still a lot of people there, so we
walked along the boardwalk and then found us a picnic table to sit at. I waded
for a little while, and then we headed on back to our hotel room to relax and
cool off. The next morning, we slept in and then did a little shopping and
walking in the park before heading to FW to pick up Nam from Sheila’s workplace
just after lunch. Sheila and Ricky took me out to Chili’s for supper and we all
shared a Molten Chocolate Cake for dessert. Nam wanted to sing “Happy Birthday”
to me, but I wasn’t wanting the attention, so he and the rest of family sang it
very quietly!
Bobbie had a pretty rough week earlier in the month. She is
feeling quite a bit better now, but she really wears out easily. Daddy is doing
pretty well. We were finally able to get him some compression stockings
yesterday. I’m hoping they help with his swelling in his feet and legs. We
ended up getting the knee-high, rather than the thigh-high that the doctor
prescribed. We just didn’t think he’d be able to put the others on by himself.
He can do the knee-highs, although it is still a struggle. I need to get him in
to see a podiatrist to see about his feet. I didn’t realize how bad they looked
until he was trying on the stockings. (I never see his bare feet!) I plan to go
over there in a day or two and give them a good washing to exfoliate them. They
have a lot of dead skin built up on them! I guess he just can’t reach them to
clean them well when he showers. I’m waiting a bit so (hopefully) the swelling
will go down. They are so swollen that the skin is very tender and easily torn.
Robbie and Charlotte were in the metroplex this past week
celebrating their 25th anniversary. They came over to HW on Sunday
and spent the day with us. It was great catching up with them! After the
afternoon assembly several of us went out to eat with them and visit even
longer. The guys had been tied up in a business meeting all afternoon, so
Dennis and Ricky didn’t get to visit with them until suppertime. We usually
only get to see them about once a year. Charlotte is like one of our own kids.
Dennis has known her all of her life, and I met her family when she was 5. Our
two families used to do EVERYTHING together! She used to babysit my kids when
they were little and she was a teenager. It is hard to believe that she has
been married 25 years and her girls are starting college!
Our monthly potluck is this coming Sunday at the Pettits’.
Jensen is supposed to be our guest speaker. We are looking forward to hearing a
good lesson from him and visiting with him and Andrea. They are another couple
that is very special to us!
Well, that about catches you up on our lives.
Hope things are going well with all of you
No comments:
Post a Comment