A friend posted this verse this morning: Be
angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still.
Selah (Psalms 4:4 NKJV)
Simple verse, but it can take a lifetime to learn to live
it. First, to be able to control one’s temper…without thinking or saying or
doing anything ugly. I might be able to control my actions (sometimes) or even
my tongue (less often), but my thoughts? How many times does a retaliatory thought
pop into my head? Way too often, I’m afraid. How many times do I pop off and
say something in return? Still guilty. Learning to return good for evil is a challenge
and a commandment that I struggle
with daily: Bless (this means to speak well of or praise) those who persecute you;
bless and do not curse… Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If
he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on
his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
(Romans 12:14, 20-21 NKJV)
The second part of this passage is also challenging, but in
a different way. Learning to control my temper is fighting against my human
passion…bringing it under control…and replacing it with the love of God.
Learning to be still and meditate is
a more subtle struggle. Calming my mind…focusing on God. At times, it comes
very easily, such as when I’m observing an awesome view of nature. Sometimes,
it comes with just a little bit of effort, such as when I’m driving down the
road, alone, and choose to spend the time talking to God and admiring His
creation. But during my normal, daily routine…it is very challenging. When I’m
taking a break and sitting in my recliner, do I meditate and allow the Spirit
to move in me? Or do I busy my mind with TV or reading for pleasure or playing
games on my computer? I’m afraid I am guilty of the latter. I have what I refer
to as a “lazy mind”. I don’t like to
think deep thoughts most of the time. I like to keep things light and easy and
relaxing. Which is a bit ironic, don’t you think? Look at the language used in
the psalm…be still. That imagery is one of peace and contentment.
Why is it so hard for me to achieve? Why must I constantly fill my mind with
trivialities? Why can’t I allow the Spirit to help me find true peace? And it follows that if I spend more time working on this, the first part of the verse will also get easier! Amazing how that works, huh?
Anyway, I’m grateful for Sherry sharing this verse today. It
stirred up my heart and helped me spend a bit more time today in meditating on
God’s Word and doing a little soul-searching. I hope it has done the same for
you.
No comments:
Post a Comment