Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Turning 60


How did THAT happen?! Even though my body tells me that I’m that old, my mind can’t really comprehend it. Even with my terrible memory, I can still remember playing in the alley with the neighborhood kids in Littlefield and playing hide-and-seek in the cornfields at the farm. Then after moving to Saginaw, I recall all the hours that we spent playing in the court with our drywall “chalk”, walking all over town visiting friends, and spending MANY hours at Granny and Granddaddy’s house playing with the Putman/Smith/Spurlock cousins in the mesquite flats and bar ditches; as well as all those games of Red Rover in the back yard. I barely turned around and found myself graduating high school and moving out on my own. Then Dennis came along, and we were married before you could blink. Seven years of desperately wanting children was followed by a busy, noisy, joyful houseful of young’uns…who grew up way too fast.

Am I sad about hitting the BIG 6-0? Not at all! I have never regretted aging. Life is an adventure, and each phase brings new challenges and rewards. I love the freedom that we have since Dennis retired and the time that we have to spend together. I have really enjoyed the time that we’ve spent traveling (when we’ve had the opportunity) and look forward to doing more in the future (as things settle down).  I love spending time with my grandkids. Life is so much more fun when viewed through the eyes of a youngster. I truly love becoming friends with my children. They have all grown to be amazing adults, in spite of my ignorance and mistakes in raising them. I love it when we can all get together and visit and share memories. Watching my kiddos interact as adults is a joy, as well as watching them enjoy one another’s children. After refereeing all of those (seemingly endless) battles when they were younger, telling them to cherish and appreciate their relationships, it is such a blessing to see it all come to fruition.  And of course, I am now eligible for most senior citizen discounts!

Of course, growing old isn’t all fun and games! Things start to wear out and quit working…which usually causes some pain and inconvenience. You start losing more and more of the people that you’ve loved for so long. Watching your own parents decline is very difficult! It is rough to have to take on the role of “parent” to the person(s) whom you respect and have always turned to when in need. Watching them grow feeble, in both body and mind, is heart-breaking. Trying to walk that fine line of caring for them without “bossing” them can be most challenging! Then the realization that it won’t be long before you are in their position, and your children will be facing the same responsibilities, is very sobering.

I’m also much more aware, now, of how short life really is. I appreciate the eternal so much more! Knowing that there is something waiting for me that is greater beyond measure than the things of this world, fills me with such comfort and hope. When I was younger, I felt like I still had so much of life to experience, so I didn’t really long for my eternal home. As I grow older and see the evils of this world wax worse and worse, I’m thankful that my years are grower shorter. I long for the peace and joy and splendor of being with my Savior and not having to deal with “stuff”!

All in all, I’m glad that I’m turning 60. I’m thankful that I’ve been allowed to experience all the things that have come my way. I haven’t always enjoyed everything, but it feels good to have weathered the storms and come out on the other side with the help of God. And I’m confident that He will continue to see me through the next (?) years. I still have so much to learn and experience and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment