I want to thank everyone who reached out to me after my last
few posts! I was surprised at the people who told me that they understood what
I was going through and felt the same way. Even though I know that many of us
are facing similar circumstances at this point in our lives, I guess I didn’t
realize that my feelings weren’t all that unusual. From the outside, it can
look like someone “has it all together”, even though they are struggling on the
inside. It really helps knowing that others are sympathetic to my situation and
understand my struggles. It also helps to know that someone besides myself is
getting some benefit from my scribbles.
The folks are both continuing to decline. Bobbie is now on
hospice. She still isn’t eating enough to keep a bird alive, and she is having
trouble swallowing. Sometimes she does ok…other times she can’t swallow her
medications. I think the nursing home will try to crush what they can and
perhaps hospice can provide liquid meds for some of the others. Bobbie hates
being in bed now! It is definitely helping her rest though…as well as Daddy. She was
waking him up several times a night when she slid down in her chair, and he
would have to call for someone to come help. I don’t know how the bed could be
more uncomfortable than the position she was usually in while sitting in her
recliner, but she says it is. One thing that makes it difficult is that she can’t
work the controls to adjust it to her satisfaction. Someone else has to do it
and go by when she says it is ok or not. She is very sad over the death of
Wallace and really misses her only remaining brother. That also frustrates her,
and can come out as anger. Her short-term memory is really poor, so she gets
upset about decisions that she helped make, because she thinks people just are
being mean and not allowing her to do things. I try to patiently explain that
she is just too weak to get out and go any more. I sympathize with her
situation and assure her that everyone is just trying to do what is best for
her. It seems to help short-term, but then she forgets and gets upset all over
again. It really is sad!
Daddy’s physical health is pretty stable right now, but his
mental health is really declining. He can no longer operate his cell phone,
which has been one of his last means of independence. He now has to have the
nursing home call me when he wants to tell me something. He has also developed
the propensity to take things from wherever he is. I think it is the “hoarder
instinct” that he has always had kicking into overdrive. He fills his walker
basket with silverware, napkins, straws, tissues, crackers, leftover food or
whatever else happens to be within reach. He pilfered a blanket from someone at
church yesterday morning. I managed to restrain him from taking it into the
nursing home and washed and returned it to the church house. I really don’t
think he realizes that he is taking things he shouldn’t. It seems to be more of
a “reflex”. He is getting much more docile. That might seem to be a good thing,
but it is just means that he is losing his ability to think. He mostly just
responds to instruction. He seemed a little more alert this morning when I
visited. He wanted some snapshots taped up on their wall, so they can look at
them all the time. That is the most interest that he’s shown about anything in
a while. It is hard to know if his rapid decline is the normal progression of
his aging process, or if it is trauma induced from all of the changes that he’s
been through lately, or if it is something else. Whatever is causing it, it has
been brutal to watch. I take him to his nephrologist in the morning. It will be
interesting to see what his bloodwork has to show. His edema has improved
GREATLY since they upped his Lasix! But that can be hard on kidneys, so the
doctor may want to cut back again. There is a correlation between kidney
failure and dementia. It is such a delicate balancing act at this stage of
life!
On a brighter note, Sheila’s family came over Friday night
for our Mexican feast. Everyone loved the tamales! They turned out better than
I thought they would, but next time, I plan to use a different technique to
make them. Matt has been around a lot of tamale making parties when he lived in
the valley, and he said using a tortilla press is the way to go! We really
enjoyed our visit with them, and Nam was very excited to be back. We are having
to find ways to get together with him while he’s in zoo camp. We had already arranged
to keep him this coming Friday, since he won’t be going to class. We decided to
have a sleepover on Thursday night to extend our time a bit more. Sheila is
taking me out for lunch on Thursday, so we can pick him up from school together
and I can bring him home with me. I think Grandad and I miss him as much as he
misses us! We’ve been an almost daily part of each other’s lives for the past
20 months! That has to change with his new living circumstances and beginning
kindergarten, but it will definitely take some time to adjust for all of us.
We plan to go see our other grandkids next weekend. We sure are
looking forward to seeing them again. It has been almost 2 months since our
last visit! Boy, time sure does get away from you! Gracie is at the age where
she is changing SO MUCH in between visits. Stephen and Mandy are really good at
sending us pictures and videos, though, to try to keep us up to date.
Well, my laundry is beckoning so I’d better go. The weather
is supposed to turn very hot this week, so please be careful outdoors! Give
someone a hug and let them know you love them. You never know when you may not
have another opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment