Thursday, July 25, 2019

This and that


Had a great week last week! Daddy’s trip to the nephrologist went very well. His kidney function is holding steady in the 50’s (which is still considered kidney disease, but much better than in the 30’s where it has been!). The increased Lasix is doing a great job of keeping the fluid off of him. His legs are about normal size now…first time in years. He could probably do without the oxygen now. The last couple of times they checked it while he wasn’t wearing it, it was in the mid-to-upper 90’s. Bobbie is just getting weaker and weaker. Yesterday was a good day though. I got her out of bed and took her to look at the birds in the aviary and then sit outside on the porch for a little while. She was able to hold her head up for a good while during all of that. By the time we got back to the room, she was worn out and ready to get back in bed. She is depressed over Wallace’s death and her own health, which is understandable. She wants to get up and do things, but she just isn’t able. I know she is either in pain or discomfort most of the time, too. It is hard to know how to help her! She is no longer strong enough to make it to church services anymore, which she is very upset about. Daddy has decided to stay with her, because he is nervous about leaving her “alone”. She really gets upset with us for not taking her, but there is no way she could manage being up that long at this point. Getting her in and out of bed requires assistance. We would have to literally pick her up to put her in our vehicle! She recognized a few weeks ago that she was too weak to continue going, but she forgets.

Jensen spent a couple of nights last week with us. He and Dennis spent hours back in the den talking and studying. We enjoyed his visit! It was nice to have an excuse to buy ice cream, too!

Sheila took me out for lunch on Thursday for my birthday. Nam asked her that morning where we were going to eat. Sheila told him it was my choice. He told her, “Well, you know she really likes chicken!” Ha! Instead of chicken, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant, and I got a bowl of pho. It was delicious! (We went to Golden Chick that night for supper!) Afterwards we went and got a pedicure, then had some gourmet popsicles for a little treat. By then, it was close to time to pick up Nam from museum school. I brought him home to spend the night with us. We sure enjoyed having him over again. We’ve really missed him this summer with all of his summer classes. We will have him a couple of days a week for the next two weeks, and then it will be time for school to start. We are looking forward to “being retired” again, but we sure do miss that little guy when he’s not around.

Sean G, from Vian, was our guest speaker this past Sunday. We had our potluck over at Layne and Heather’s. We really enjoyed the day! I had never spent any time with Sean and Ashley before then. They are a really sweet couple, and their little girls are adorable! They were able to stay over until Monday (at the Pettits’), so we all ate out together Sunday night to extend our visit a little longer.

Andy and Sherry had come over Sunday for the day and had some car troubles while here. We had them come over after supper, so Dennis and Andy could work on the car to make sure it was safe to drive home. They finally got it driveable around 10:00. I felt sorry for them, but Sherry and I enjoyed our visit. We hope to take a little trip together sometime in the not-too-distant future. We are wanting to ride the train to Alpine and spend a few days exploring the area. It ought to be a blast!

My cousin, Gwen, had major back surgery on Tuesday, which lasted about 9 hours! Anita, her sister, has been staying over in Arlington with her. She has done remarkably well since the surgery! She is hoping to come home today, but the last time I heard, the doctor still hadn’t been by. Please remember her in your prayers as she recovers from such an extensive surgery! Hopefully she will be pain-free eventually and recover from some of the nerve damage in her feet and legs.

We are leaving in the morning to spend the night at Stephen and Mandy’s. I told them they could have a night out, and we would keep the kiddos. This will be our first time alone with Gracie. I’m really looking forward to it! I imagine Dennis will do a little fishing with the boys. 
I'm still enjoying my sourdough! I made hamburger buns from it yesterday, and they were delicious. The only thing that I've tried that I didn't like was sourdough pancakes. Poor Jensen was my guinea pig, but he didn't complain. I didn't care for them at all though. Everything else that I've tried has been really good. I especially like it for pizza crust!

Well, that’s what has been going on around here. I hope all is going well where you are! (Isn’t this little cool front WONDERFUL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment