De 5:16 'Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your
God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with
you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you. (NKJV)
After my last blog on aging, a dear friend asked if I would
do one on the above passage…specifically as it pertains to caring for our aging
parents. I definitely do not feel qualified to do this, because I feel like I
have been such a failure at it myself. However, I will honor my friend’s
request and address this topic.
The word honor is defined in Strongs as “be chargeable,
glorify, promote”. This is also expounded upon by Jesus in Matthew. “Mt 15:3
He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment
of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying, 'Honor your father
and your mother'; and, 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to
death.' "But you say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother,
"Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God" --
'then he need not honor his father or mother.' Thus you have made the
commandment of God of no effect by your tradition.” (NKJV) The word used
here means to value or to prize. Jesus is talking about how the Jews had
nullified this commandment by offering a gift at the altar to remove this
responsibility from themselves.
So when we look at this idea in light of caring for our
parents as they become incapable of caring for themselves, it makes perfect
sense. If we truly value someone and are chargeable to them, then we will do
everything in our power to see that they are well-cared for. This commandment
also comes with a blessing…”that your days may be long, and that it may be well
with you”. So caring for our parents benefits everyone involved. Our parents
don’t have to worry about how they are going to manage when their minds and
bodies grow too weak to continue on their own. Plus we are blessed by God for
providing for them.
I have to admit, right off, that this isn’t always as “rosy”
as the passages make it out to be. Navigating through the details of caring for
the aged takes patience, perseverance, humility, compassion, mercy, wisdom, and most of
all, a great deal of love. I am somewhat
lacking in several of these virtues, so it can be quite challenging for me to
remember that I should be thankful for the opportunity to care for my dad. I
want to be! I try to see it as such. However, the day to day struggles can
blind me to the blessings. I think one of the major obstacles that contribute
to this is that sometimes the person that you are caring for is not the same
person that you have always loved and respected. Don’t get me wrong…I truly
love my dad. But when I look in his eyes and observe the way he reacts to day
to day living, I don’t recognize him as the same person who I’ve known all my
life. That doesn’t
negate my responsibilities towards him, nor does it diminish my love and
concern for him; but it does affect how I feel. It is almost like caring for a
stranger at times…only this stranger is supposed to be my dad.
I’m not satisfied with the “job” that I’ve been doing, in
caring for Daddy. I get so very aggravated at myself when I get angry or allow
my feelings to get hurt or get tired of dealing with the inevitable problems
that arise. I find myself focusing on the inconveniences
that I have to deal with. I’m ashamed that I feel this way, but I have to be
honest and admit to those feelings. I would love it if I were able to look
forward to each day and how I might be able to make Daddy’s day a little
better. I feel like a terrible daughter when I find myself complaining about
having to do things for him, or when I lose my patience with him. This is not
how I thought things would be.
So where is the blessing that I’m “supposed to be
receiving”? I often feel like I'm still waiting for it. I know that my shortcomings are primarily to blame. I’ve observed others who have dealt very well with their aging
parents and were happy and thankful to do so. Their blessing was apparent. I
wish I could be like that. I DO receive benefits from this time. I’m
(imperfectly) learning patience and compassion on a grander scale than I
previously had. Even
though I constantly feel guilty that I’m not able to care for him in my home,
I know that I've done my best to find very good homes for him and monitor his circumstances
to make sure that he is being well cared for. I try to patiently help him maintain the amount of independence that is
best for him, even if it isn’t as much as he desires. I’ve learned SO MUCH
about how to (try) to plan for my own approaching dotage. I’ve learned how insignificant
things of this life are, and how our desire should be centered on the eternal.
And I’ve developed another layer of appreciation for Dennis, my partner and best friend for almost 42 years. I truly don’t know what I’d do without him.
I also believe, that as the aged further decline and more
“hands on” care is required, another blessing comes into play. I believe that
skin on skin interaction produces a deeper kind of
love for our parents. It is proven that holding babies has a positive effect on their health and
mental development. Hugging also is scientifically proven to provide benefits
for the body and mind. I believe that the physical (touching) care that
one provides for the aged benefits both the elderly and their caregivers. Gentle, loving physical touch causes the release of endorphins. Just as
we “bond” with a baby that we hold and care for, I believe we also "bond" with the elderly that we physically care for. They receive the
assistance (in whatever form it may be) plus the comfort of having a loved
one’s caring hands on them. We are drawn closer to them with the same actions
and are “comforted” ourselves. I always felt closer to my mom when I was helping care for her in the hospital. Daddy hasn’t yet reached this point, although
Bobbie is rapidly getting there. I have noticed that when I physically have to
raise her to a better sitting position or provide support for her as she gets
in or out of the car, that I feel more “maternal” towards her. I truly believe
that a great deal of this has to do with physical touch.
I know there may be some who are disappointed in how I’m
caring for my dad. Believe me, I am, too! For now, I just keep on plugging at
it the best I can: constantly asking for
God’s help, looking for ways to do better, and trying not to become discouraged.
I know everyone’s journey is different. Some parents
age with grace, but the physical challenges can be overwhelming. Some people
lose their parents early on and deal with the grief that comes from that rather
than the challenges of dealing with old age. When death come suddenly, family is often unprepared to deal with it. For those of us who have a front row seat to our parent(s) decline, we can (I believe) face the end with more acceptance. Seeing the suffering that the "dying process" brings make us yearn for relief. Whatever our lot, we all have our struggles. We all
have our blessings. Our response to the things we face is what defines us and
determines how much of a “blessing” we receive.
In conclusion, let me say that I really am thankful that I’m able
to care for my dad! I don’t always act like it or sound like it. But being able
to insure his well-being is extremely important to me. I would do anything for
him. Taking on that responsibility, however, hasn’t been what I expected. It
isn’t just providing care for him. It involves facing his cognitive and
physical decline. It involves helping him come to terms with that decline, even
when he doesn’t want to. It involves dealing with issues that I never even
dreamed that I would have to face. And, just as in parenting, you have to learn
as you go. Nobody can prepare you or tell you how to do it, because everyone is
different, as are the circumstances of their lives. It has turned out to be one
of the most difficult things that I’ve ever done. I’m still learning. I’m still
trying to improve. I’m still hoping to see the time that “it will be well” for
me. Some days it is. For now, that’s good enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment