Just a quick update on Dad. He is declining, but so very slowly. Yesterday, when I was finally allowed to be with him, I didn’t think he would survive the week. He still has an amazing amount of strength for someone who is so frail though. This dying process may take longer than I expected. It is excruciating to watch. Thankfully, since they started him on pain meds yesterday (he was just on Tylenol before), he is resting much more comfortably. He sleeps around the clock…only waking up to be fed (what little that he is eating now) or to have his dressings changed. He never complains, and when asked, always replies that he doesn’t hurt…he’s just tired. I try to be with him for most of the day…going up in the morning and staying until time to come home and cook supper. I hope that he finds some comfort in my being there.
The nursing home and hospice staff have been super! Yesterday, different ones were coming in to check on me throughout the day. They brought me bottled water and a basket of snacks…as well as magazines. Our sweet social worker also brought me a beautiful card that left me in tears. They are all very sweet and caring with Daddy. Moving him is painful, even though he doesn’t admit it. They have to change his position every two hours and change his wound dressings once a day. They are so tender with him and apologize for bothering him the whole time. I am SO thankful for each and every one of them!
I want to go ahead and mention that we have decided not to have a funeral when the time comes. Due to travel and gathering restriction guidelines, we will just have a graveside service for the immediate family only. I also do not want flowers sent. Please use the money that you would have spent to help out someone who is struggling right now due to the pandemic. Times are rough for a lot of people. They need your help much more than we need flowers.
I probably won’t update again until Daddy finally passes. I appreciate all of your prayers and kind words during this whole ordeal. It fills my heart to hear from so many who love Daddy and appreciate him for who he has always been. Please continue to pray that this journey of his is shortened!
No comments:
Post a Comment