Well, Dad is about the same...some days pretty good; others, not so much. I'm pretty sure he's not going to get the use of his legs back. He can help a little when being transferred from the bed to his wheelchair and back again. Now I can lift him by myself, whereas it used to take two people. He's feeding himself more now; but some days, he still just wants to lie in bed and have me feed him. He seems to be sleeping "deeper" now. Some days it is hard to wake him. Other days, he just naps a short while, then wakes up, gets a drink, and then naps some more. Some days he eats almost all of his meal; then others, he barely eats a few bites. I really never know what to expect. They are still doing some therapy with him, but it is mostly bed exercises. The therapist told me yesterday that he did sit up on the side of the bed to do some exercises and cooperated very well. It was encouraging to hear that. Today, though, he just stayed in his room and had his meals brought to him. He's just so tired!
Dennis got all of the sheetrock hung in the living room. I'm hoping that he gets the taping and floating done this week. We're definitely NOT going to have the living room "livable" when Nam comes, but he'll do fine hanging out in the den with Grandad. We are still hoping to spend some time with him out at the state park. He also enjoys hanging out at the city park. I'm sure we'll find plenty of ways to have fun while he's here! Just 6 more days until his visit!
We had a wonderful Lord's Day today! Last Sunday, our group was so small because of illness. Today, most of our regulars were back and we had three different groups of visitors. Jamie gave a good lesson on being at peace with one another. Then after the morning assembly, the whole Pettit bunch (including James and Debbie), Geo and Mae (from Amarillo) and Dennis and I all ate lunch together. We had such a good visit! Geo and Mae had to leave afterwards, but the rest of us went to Jamie and Renee's to visit the rest of the afternoon. Good day!
I did finally make it back to visit my aunt Coez last week. I had been neglecting her for a couple of weeks, while I was so busy with Dad. She never holds it against me, though! She is still struggling but managing. If I make it to 90, I hope I am as in good shape as she is. She still lives alone and takes care of her own house. It's getting harder and harder, as she gets very short of breath whenever she gets up and around, but she keeps at it. Thankfully, she started getting Meals on Wheels a few weeks ago. That has really helped her out. She had still been doing all of her cooking before that.
We decided last week to cancel our vacation plans for later this year. We were planning to go on an Alaskan cruise with a bunch of our friends in late August. Dennis has never been interested in going on a cruise, but I had talked him into it...mainly because of the others who were going. With Dad's situation now, we can't both be gone from home. I really feel like I need to be there every day to check on him and help him. I know that the nursing home takes good care of him, but he does better when I'm there. I can give him that little extra attention that he needs. I don't know if he will live through the summer, but it is quite possible. (I honestly didn't think he'd survive the winter, but he has proved to be stronger than we thought!) Plus Dennis is concerned about the COVID-19 virus getting "onboard" and causing the passengers to be stuck on the ship for who knows how long. We just felt like now is not a good time for such a "grand adventure".
Dennis is hoping to go to Arkansas in a few weeks to see his family for Warren and Linda's 50th anniversary. (Wow! That doesn't seem possible! How did we all get to be so old?) I don't feel like I can miss a day with my dad, so he'll be travelling by himself. I told him that when Dad has finally "gone home" that we can run away to some quiet, remote place for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking maybe Big Bend. That is one of the most peaceful places that I've ever been.
Spring is definitely showing itself around here! The past several days have been just gorgeous...a bit windy, but sunny and mild. Trees are starting to bud and bloom all over. It won't be long before the bluebonnets start blooming. I really love springtime! Next to fall, it is my favorite time of year. I love the renewal of everything and the bright colors from the flowers and new foliage on the trees. I really like the transition months...the warming of springtime and the cooling of fall...and the colorful changes of both.
I hope you all have a wonderful week!
No comments:
Post a Comment