Tuesday, March 24, 2020

A Beautiful Day

Well, we "laid Daddy to rest" this morning. Since we were limited to 10 or less people who could attend, it was just Dennis and I, Rodney and Patti, Chad, Kyle, Sheila, Ricky and Amber. We didn't have a "normal service". We all just stood around the open casket and shared memories. The weather was perfect: the sun was shining and there was a cool breeze blowing. This was my kind of funeral! (I am not a fan of most death traditions.)

Afterwards, Dennis and I and Rodney, Patti and Chad went to the nursing home, where they had already packed up Dad's belongings and had them waiting for us. They brought them out to the front porch, so no one would have to break quarantine. There wasn't a whole lot left. We just donated all of his clothes.

Whenever the quarantine is lifted, we hope to have a memorial service at the Henrietta Creek Church of Christ. As most of you know, they used to be the Jarvis Heights congregation, which was Daddy's church home for over 50 years. I will be sure to get the word out when that time comes, for any and all who wish to attend.

Now, I am just going to take advantage of our quarantine situation and rest a while. Being able to stay home for a few weeks sounds pretty good to me right now.

I want to thank, again, everyone for your prayers during the past three years that we've been taking care of Daddy...and especially these final few weeks. I couldn't have made it without them! I also appreciate all of the encouragement and love that has been shown during this time. Thanks for allowing me to share this journey with you. I hope that it has done some good for someone. It has been a huge help to me to be able to work through all of the emotions that come with caring for an aging and dying parent. If any of you who are still walking this path ever need someone to listen, I am here for you!

Love and best wishes to all of you as we continue to weather the COVID-19 storm! Stay safe and healthy and be open to helping those in need!

No comments:

Post a Comment