Yesterday was a hard day. Every time Dad goes through another “transition”, it takes me a while to process…and the process is painful. After a day or so, I adjust to the new “normal” and move on. But some days really throw me for a loop. Yesterday was one of those days.
We had already made plans to go to Nam’s kindergarten performance last night. After getting home from the nursing home around 2:30 and spending the next hour or so trying to distract myself to keep from crying, I was tempted to cancel our plans. Nam knew we were supposed to come, though, and I couldn’t bear disappointing him. Plus I knew that watching a bunch of 5 and 6 year-olds singing would be just what I needed! So we went, enjoyed the program immensely, and then went out with all of the family for ice cream afterwards. Sheila and Matt had to get Nam home to bed pretty soon after having our treat, but Andy and Sherry hung around and we visited for hours! Sherry is one of the most understanding people that I know when dealing with the problems of being a caregiver for the aged. She has both professional and personal experience! I was feeling SO much better by the time we headed back home.
Then this morning, Carol and Craig dropped by on their way to the airport to fly home after visiting family. We met for “coffee” at a local used bookstore/coffee house. It was such a treat to spend some time with them. I normally see Carol at the yearly summer meeting, and it has been MUCH longer since we visited with Craig! So we had a lot of catching up to do in a short time. It was so nice that they thought of us and went out of their way to drop by!
The reason that I’m sharing this is that you never know how much someone might need your presence at any given moment. A sympathetic ear at just the right time can be invaluable. Just showing someone that you care enough to drop by can make their day. I just want to thank my dear friends for helping me through a very difficult 24 hours. And I want to remind us all to never underestimate how much being a friend can help someone through a rough patch. You may not ever know that you were at the right place at the right time. But sharing your love and friendship can make a huge difference in someone else’s life!
No comments:
Post a Comment