Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Car shopping & surgery

I do not like to shop...especially when it comes to buying a car.  I've loved my 2000 Camry and have been hoping it would last many more years, but that isn't to be.  At over 190,000 miles, it is rapidly developing a lot of problems that would require putting more money into repairs than it is worth.  Plus we are wanting to purchase a newer vehicle that will hopefully take us into retirement and be paid for at that time.  So for the past month, we have been trying to find a suitable car for the right price.  One of the reasons that I do not like to shop is because it causes me to want something that I don't have.  I am normally pretty content with what I have.  Shopping erodes that contentment.  Then when a car we want sells or we can't afford one that we really like, I get upset.  I don't like that about myself. The acquisition of material things shouldn't bother me like that.  It is humbling to realize that I am still that carnal.  When a beautiful, well-equipped car passes through our fingers, I should be able to accept it and realize that we didn't need it and trust we will eventually find what is best for us to have.  So I am praying that God will use this time to refine this old lump of coal!

Dennis is scheduled for a hernia repair next Wednesday.  This makes his third one...and hopefully his last.  He will be off on sick leave for six weeks following the operation, which should really do him good.  Things have been really bad at the post office for a long time.  As with most companies nowadays they are trying to work understaffed...working their carriers 10 hours most days, six days a week.  That is a difficult pace to keep up when it involves walking 10 miles or more a day.  Dennis will be the third carrier (out of the 7 or 8 regular carriers) to have surgery in a three month time period.  It is really wearing them all down.  This surgery will allow him to rest up and do some things around here (like car shopping, for one!).  He has a muzzle loader kit that he recently bought at a garage sale that he is putting together for Stephen.  He hopes to get it done during that time period.  He hasn't had the time or energy to work on it much since he got it back in November or December.  He will be pretty sore for a couple of weeks but should be up to "low-energy" activities.  We would appreciate any and all prayers for a successful operation and easy recovery!

We are thankful for the abundant rain we've received over the past 36 hours!  It is still supposed to continue on through tomorrow morning.  I love seeing how God cares for His creation!  During a drought like we had this summer, the weather professionals are quick to say how (outrageously) long it will take to recover.  God has a way of making them "eat crow".  He knows what we need and provides according to His timetable, not ours!  Guess there is a lesson in that for us all (me, especially!).

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment