Thursday, July 16, 2015

Go Set a Watchman - a book review

I was so excited to read this newly released book by Harper Lee.  I have always loved "To Kill a Mockingbird"!  It is a literary classic and one of the most socially significant books of its time.  I HAD to read this sequel...one that was actually written before TKAM, and never published.

This book turned out to be one of the most difficult I have ever read.  I hated it for about 3/4 of the way through.  The style is somewhat laborious at times.  But the main thing that I disliked is that it destroyed the reputation of one of my most beloved literary characters, Atticus Finch.  Before finishing the book, I read one review that argued that this book should never have been published, and I agreed.  It purposed that the book was only published to take advantage of the problems our society is facing right now, and benefit financially from it.

Then I read the last few chapters...and changed my mind.  I do believe that this is also a socially significant book.  It still hurts to see my beloved Atticus with feet of clay, but it makes some extremely good points in doing so.  I am now glad that I read this book, as gut-wrenching as it was.  It was written in the 1950's, but it is written for today.  (Note:  there IS some language to deal with.)

I don't want to give away the story, but I do want to share a few lines that I believe are important:

"What does a bigot do when he meets someone who challenges his opinions?  He doesn't give.  He stays rigid.  Doesn't even try to listen, just lashes out." 

"You said, in effect, 'I don't like the way these people do, so I have no time for them.'  You'd better take time for 'em, honey, otherwise you'll never grow."

No comments:

Post a Comment