I have never liked to watch or keep up with the news. Of course, that causes me to be ignorant on a
number of current topics, but it creates a much happier, more peaceful state of
mind. If I watch, or read, the news, I
just get all agitated and upset. Why put
myself through that, when (for the most part) there is nothing that I can do to
change whatever it is that I’m reading about?
Over the last few weeks and months, it is worse than
ever. It is impossible to avoid the
news. Besides popping up on my internet
homepage every time I log on, everyone on facebook is weighing in on one side
or the other of current events. I’m sure
the media moguls are deliriously happy, because they are the ones who have
created and/or fed the frenzy.
I’m not saying that the issues are unimportant. Racism, hatred, bigotry, murder, assault, homosexuality, and marriage
are serious subjects…and need to be dealt
with in a proper manner. However, the
media isn’t interested in that. They
just want to fan the flames of unrest and dissention! As much as
I try to be optimistic, I fear for our nation because of this current frenzy.
Every once in a great while, a GOOD article will pop
up. One that looks logically at what is
happening in our society and tries to maintain some balance and
perspective. They are far too few and
not publicized enough to make much of a difference. After all, ranting about the issues makes for
much better press. Who cares if the
facts aren’t straight?
What I would love to see are people who ignore the
frenzy. People who go about their
everyday lives, doing the best they can, and helping others along the way. If more would focus on doing that, then our
nation could heal. But aside from what
is best for our nation, it would definitely help our lives and that of others
around us to be better. If enough people
focused on being positive and helpful in their communities, then it WOULD make
a difference on a national level.
What should we be doing?
As with problems, the answers are found in God’s word.
·
Fear God. Proverbs
16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is
purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
Hebrews
12:28-29 Wherefore we receiving a
kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God
acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.
·
Love God
and trust in Him. Psalms 145:20 The LORD preserveth all them that love him:
but all the wicked will he destroy.
Romans
8:28 And we know that all things
work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
according to his purpose.
·
Obey God.
Proverbs
29:18 Where there is no vision, the
people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we
keep his commandments.
·
Love each
other. Proverbs 10:12 Hatred
stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
1 Thessalonians 3:12 And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:
1 Thessalonians 3:12 And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you:
·
Help
others, whenever and however you can. 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth
his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how
dwelleth the love of God in him?
I know this is very simplistic. There are so many details that are important
that I haven’t discussed. However, if we
truly follow each of these, I think we’ll be ok. Because, after all, if we really love and
fear and obey God, we will search to understand Him and what He wants from us…and
then DO it! And if we sincerely love and
help one another, then we will share God’s love with them and be the example
that we are meant to be. After all,
Jesus summed it all up in this one statement:
Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus said
unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy
soul, and with all thy mind. This is the
first and great commandment. And the
second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and
the prophets.
So let’s quit feeding the frenzy and get busy doing good.
1 Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out
of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

Great post and my sentiments exactly.
ReplyDeleteGreat post and my sentiments exactly.
ReplyDelete