Saturday, June 11, 2016

No more kitchen

Well, this week has been interesting!  My kitchen is GONE!  No cabinets, no water, no stove, and most of the food moved from the frig to the one in the shop.  So cereal for breakfast and sandwiches are all that this house can offer right now.  We are REALLY getting tired of eating out!



 
 
My new pantry and storage closet are functional (although not finished).  I was able to move everything out of my cabinets and into one of them so the cabinets could be torn out.  I'm storing a few food items in the pantry.  I'll probably move all of my foodstuffs into it next week.  Dennis is planning to start rebuilding the cabinets early next week.  We plan to order the formica and backsplash tile on Monday.  My new sink is supposed to be in Thursday.  I ended up going with a granite composite sink that has a 80/20 split.  I REALLY wanted a large basin, but after hearing everyone's advice on facebook, I decided I needed to keep a second basin.  For my needs, the small one to the side should work perfectly.  For the backsplash, I had wanted to do something that looked like small Austin stone.  After looking into it and finding out it would have to be treated regularly, I took Dennis' advice and decided to go with glazed ceramic tile.  I found some beveled subway tile that I really liked the look of, so we decided to go with that.  It will be much easier to clean!
 
My new microwave/vent hood and my new kitchen light came in yesterday.  I also ordered a new kitchen step stool to reach all of those new high cabinets that Dennis will be adding.  We did have fur downs above our upper cabinets, which was a TOTAL waste of space.  Even though the upper shelves of my new cabinets will require a step stool, I can put most, if not all, of my seldom used items on them.  This kitchen is way too small to waste any space!
 
Even though the guys got a LOT accomplished over the past two days, they have been very stressful and frustrating.  After the kitchen cabinets were removed, we discovered a LOT of mold!  YUCK!  So we ended up having to remove all of the sheetrock from that wall.  Then we had trouble sealing the water lines and it was beginning to look like we'd have to spend last night without water.  Ricky saved the day.  He suggested a type of cap that doesn't require soldering and they worked perfectly.  So we were able to turn the water back on around 10:30 last night, so we could all shower before bed!  Woo-hoo!  Then today, Dennis had a little run-in with a sheet of ceiling sheetrock which ruined a whole panel...after Ricky thought he had finished taping the ceiling.  More sheetrock to replace and more mess to clean up.  (Every time a part of the ceiling comes off, out falls a lot of insulation and other things from the attic that are better left unmentioned!)  Even though we have tried to cover some things with plastic and run Dennis' (shop) air cleaner nonstop, dust settles everywhere!  I went over everything yesterday with a damp rag to try to stay ahead of it a little!  We are constantly wiping dirt and debris from the corners of our eyes!
 
Well I hope the next post will show progress on the new cabinets.  I'm looking forward to having a functioning kitchen again!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment