What a great week! Monday, I tried to get caught up after Thanksgiving. Debbie P. had brought over some wonderful home grown citrus fruit over the holiday weekend. She told me that you can go ahead and squeeze the lemons and limes and freeze for future use. So I did that on Monday. I've got enough lemon juice and zest in the freezer to make a pie, as well as key lime juice and zest for a pie. YUM! Plus we have fresh tangerines and grapefruit for snacking on. THANK YOU, DEBBIE AND JAMES!!!
Tuesday, I managed to get my walking in...first time in a week! I had a little laundry to do and had to do my normal run to buy groceries. Then it was time to go see my cardiologist. On the way, I stopped by the CASA office to take all of our leftover sweets from Thanksgiving. I love being able to share and especially to GET IT OUT OF MY HOUSE!!! It was a good thing that I did it, too. When I FINALLY got in to see the doctor (after sitting in the waiting room for almost 2 hours), he told me to lose weight (I knew THAT was coming!) by eliminating flour and sugar from my diet. I told him he was no fun! But my blood pressure is very sensitive to my weight. If I can lose 20-30 pounds, I may be able to get off (or at least get back on a very low dose) of my medication. He did take me off the beta-blocker that the ER doctor had put me on. I didn't like the way it made me feel so tired all of the time. I was on a super low dose of my normal medicine, so he increased it by a good bit and told me to take it twice a day, instead of just once. I'm also scheduled for a stress echo test this week to make sure there aren't any issues with my heart. He didn't really think that there will be...thinks it is all just blood pressure related.
I spent all day Wednesday and Thursday in a training for CASA. It is for a new joint initiative between CPS and CASA to work together to try to better locate family support and/or placement for kids to keep them OUT of the foster care system. I'm really excited about it. It is supposed to be implemented on a limited number of cases beginning the first of the year. I have one case in particular that I really believe could benefit from the program.
I had my twice/month visit to observe Friday that took most of the morning. Then I came home and started preparing for the weekend. Sheila and I had a girls' weekend planned with Diane B. The Henrietta Creek church also volunteers at a shelter on the first Saturday of every month, so I decided to go with them to help. I made up a big pan of Oreo Rice Krispie Treats to take for dessert. That was hard not to sample. (I must confess that I did cut off a tiny slice of one, though. 😳)
Saturday morning was our local Santa's Workshop for CASA. I had two of my families coming, so I volunteered the whole morning. It is SO much fun! They serve breakfast, have a craft table, have elves making balloon toys, have pictures with Santa and storytime with Mrs. Santa, face painting, stuffed bears for all the kiddos, as well as jackets and handmade quilts. I really enjoyed seeing my little CASA kiddos having so much fun!
I went straight from there to Sheila's. We loaded up her stuff and went to Diane's house. We spent the rest of the day (except for the time we were at the shelter) eating popcorn and hot tamales (yes, I cheated BIG time!) and watching old Christmas movies. We were all struggling to keep our eyes open around midnight, so we turned in for the night.
Today, I enjoyed meeting and worshipping with the Henrietta Creek congregation. It is my "home away from home". After the morning assembly, a big bunch of us went to eat together; and Teddy and Phillip kept us all quite entertained! Sheila held little Bellamy during the afternoon assembly, so I got to have some quality time with that little sweetie! She is such a doll! After the second assembly, all of the ladies went back to Diane's house to make cards, using her Stampin' Up stuff. She had worked very hard ahead of time to have everything cut out and ready for us. I've never done any of that before, and I really didn't expect to like doing it. But I had a blast! Of course, being with all of those special ladies and visiting made it extra fun. I want to send a big "THANK YOU" to Diane for all of her hard work and her gracious hospitality! I'm looking forward to doing a repeat next year!
I'm back home tonight and looking forward to sleeping in my bed (although my bed last night was super comfortable!) and not having anything on my calendar for in the morning! Dennis is going hunting tomorrow for a few days, so I'll have a quiet house for a few days. I think I'll take it easy!
Hope you all have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment