Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Good times and bad times...and looking forward to 2017

Well, the doctors still haven't gotten Bobbie's heart rate regulated.  She went home from the hospital on Friday and ended up back in the ER that night.  They put her on a diuretic and sent her home.  Then she was taken by ambulance back to the hospital on Saturday.  They can't seem to get the A-fib to settle down, which is causing congestive heart failure.  Once they get it regulated, she will go into a skilled nursing facility for a week or so to get her strength built back up.  I think this had made Daddy and Bobbie realize that they are going to have to make some lifestyle changes.  She can't take the chance of having an emergency with her heart in Spur, so they'll have to settle down in the Saginaw house.  Once things settle down a bit, we'll take Daddy out to the farm to get their stuff that they need to take back to Saginaw.  Hopefully they will still be able to use the farmhouse as a little vacation home.

We made our 2017 vacation plans last week!  Going to such a popular vacation spot as the Grand Canyon, reservations are required VERY early.  We had planned to spend a night or two in the hotel that is right on the north rim of the canyon, but it was already booked up.  Our plans are to leave in mid-September, starting off with a visit with Joe and Leanne and then with Sam Hays.  We plan to visit White Sands, the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and end up at Rocky Mountain National Park.  We ought to see some glorious sites!  It is supposed to be when the aspens are turning, too...as well as when the elk start bugling.  Looking forward to another grand adventure!

Sheila came over Friday night and stayed all weekend.  We did our annual seafood boil Saturday night.  I had planned to make some crab appetizers but completely forgot!  I did fix coleslaw, beans and rice, and homemade bread to go along with the shrimp, crab, potatoes and corn.  I don't think we'd have had room for the appetizers, after all!

Sheila still hadn't seen Rogue One, so we decided to take in the noon matinee on Monday.  Since we didn't get to eat lunch beforehand, we (uncharacteristically) decided to buy drinks and snacks at the movie.  About an hour into the movie, I had to take a bathroom break, but the restroom was closed down.  I just figured it was being cleaned or something, so decided to try again later.  Sheila went about 30 minutes later, and it was still closed.  She was going to try to find another restroom in the shopping center, but found out that the water was shut off all over town.  Finally about 15 minutes before the movie ended, we decided we couldn't wait any longer and went home.  After checking around we discovered that the city had a water main line leak and the whole town and some surrounding communities were all without water.  Sheila decided she would head on back home, and we started making arrangements to get some water.  We drove to Weatherford for supper and went to Walmart, while there, to get some bottled water.  They had already sold out of gallon jugs, so we bought some (overpriced) Ozarka 3 quart bottles.  Dennis loaded up our giant cooler and filled it with water at his hunting spot, so we could haul water for flushing toilets.  After 36 hours, the city finally finished the repairs and we had water restored.  We still have to boil it for consumption for another 30 hours or so, but we have enough bottled water for drinking.  I ran the dishes through the dishwasher on the sanitizer cycle and boil rinse water for any dishes I hand wash...just to be on the safe side.  It sure makes you appreciate something so simple as clean, running water when you have to go without for just a short time!

We had to delay any real work around here until we had working showers again.  But this afternoon, Dennis has started back on remodeling.  He is tearing out the sheetrock in the dining room.  We are hoping to get the walls and ceiling done before Rick has to go back to work next week.  Not sure we'll make it with this 2 day delay!

I have a little baking to do for a New Year's Eve Eve party that Pam and Pete H. are throwing Friday night.  Since I didn't do our traditional key lime pie to go with our seafood boil, I decided to make it for the party.  I'll also do the crab appetizers that I forgot.  I found a black-eyed pea dip that looks yummy that I plan to try out, too.  Looking forward to a lot of good eating and fun times with everyone!

I hope you all have a very happy New Year and much happiness in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment