Thursday, June 15, 2017

Doctor visits and Family Time

Last Saturday was the Putman Reunion (quite possibly the last one).  I spent most of the day Friday prepping veggies for Daddy's Japanese Fried Rice.  He takes it every year...as well as to most potlucks.  When I cleaned out the kitchen in Saginaw, the main things he wanted me to keep were his giant electric skillet that he cooks it in and his vegetable shredder and rice cooker.  (I had never used his shredder before, but I am now hooked!  That thing shredded a whole pound of carrots in no time!)  Daddy came over early Saturday morning to cook the rice dish.  Then we headed over to the reunion.  I enjoyed visiting with everyone.  There are several that I never get to see, except at this yearly event.  It will be sad, not having the opportunity anymore.  But the crowds keep getting smaller, and the ones who have been in charge of planning and executing it every year finally got tired of the responsibility.  No one else wanted to take it on.  So...thus ends an era.

Daddy and Bobbie came over for Sunday dinner.  Then they decided to attend services at Highway that afternoon with us.  They have been going to Eastside every assembly.  Everyone at Highway was happy to see them again!  They are also planning to come this Lord's Day, when Kyle Y. will be our guest speaker.  We are having a potluck afterwards and a singing for the afternoon service.  Looking forward to spending Father's Day with everyone!

The folks have had several doctor visits this week.  Toni took her mom to her new primary care doctor on Monday.  I took Daddy to see the back surgeon on Tuesday.  Unfortunately he determined that Daddy's back is too messed up to do surgery.  It is correctible, but not safely so at his age.  There is too high a risk that he might end up worse off!  I really appreciated the doctor being ethical and letting us know the risks.  So he is referring Daddy to a pain management specialist to see if there is anything he can do, other than just pain pills.  Daddy does ok as long as he isn't on his feet, but he can't stand or walk very long without hurting.  He had to use a stool while cooking last Saturday.  That's also the main reason he uses a cane or walker...it helps take some of the pressure off his back.

Yesterday, I took Bobbie back for a follow-up with the GI doctor who did her scope last week.  The scope didn't show any reason for the anemia she has been having.  (They thought she might have some internal bleeding causing it.)  She has been put on a high-dose iron supplement to try to build her blood back up.  I'm hoping it will also help with her appetite, which hasn't been good lately.

Next week will be another busy week of doctor visits...not all for the folks though.  I go back to see my foot doctor on Wednesday for my six-month visit.  It will be interesting to see what she says, since I've been having more trouble lately.  She will probably also order new orthotics for me.  They were already breaking down six months ago, so I'm sure they will need replacing this time.  I am hoping to find some good shoes on sale, too.  The orthotic shoes (although not the most fashionable) really work better for me than any other shoes I've found.  They are so expensive, though, I try to only get ones off of the clearance rack!

I also take Daddy to the dermatologist next Thursday.  He has some places on his ears and forehead that will probably need to be removed.  Then Friday, I take Sheila for a procedure.  She will be need to be sedated, so she will spend the night before and after here.  It will be done in Weatherford, which is very convenient!

Tomorrow, Brookdale is taking all of the "dads" out to lunch at the antique car museum in Weatherford.  Dennis and I are going over to eat with them there.  I've always wanted to check out the museum.  I didn't realize that they also had a restaurant inside.  Toni is planning to go to Brookdale to have lunch with her mom, so she won't be left out.  I just love all of the activities that Brookdale provides for it's residents!  They always have something fun going on!

Sheila and Ricky plan to come over Saturday evening to celebrate Father's Day a little early with Dennis.  We will do Dennis' favorite...tacos!  I love it when the kids are here to help with the preparation...all of us working together in the kitchen.  Ricky loves to make the guacamole, and Sheila is a champion of doing the meat.  Dennis usually helps with the chopping of the veggies, while I fry up the taco shells.  Afterwards Sheila will spend the night, so she can be here for Sunday's activities.  It will be a family fun-filled weekend!

Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment