Friday, June 23, 2017

Fresh veggies, health news, and Sheila turns 31

Summer has definitely arrived!  It got up to 103 or 104 today with a heat index of over 110.  Too hot for my tastes!

Our Father's Day lunch with the Brookdale bunch last Friday was great!  There were 6 dads being honored, and all but one had family show up.  It was fun getting to know the folks and their families a little better.  Tonette took her mom to lunch so she wouldn't feel left out.

I spent most of the day Saturday getting ready for our Sunday potluck.  Sheila and Ricky came over and we fixed Dennis tacos for his Father's Day feast.  Sheila spent the night, so she could come to Highway with us and enjoy the potluck and singing afterwards.  We enjoyed having Kyle as our guest speaker, and we always love having his family around.  The potluck at the Fields' house was great...as was the fellowship.  It was a great day all around!

Roy B. brought bell peppers and cucumbers to share with everyone at the potluck.  Then when we got home Sunday evening, we had a sack of fresh veggies on our doorstep.  (We later found out that Jimmy R. had shared with everyone at Eastside, and Daddy had brought some of it to us.)  There was a pattypan squash (which I had never had), an eggplant, and a bunch of yellow squash and a couple of zucchini.  I decided to try out a couple of new dishes for supper Monday night.  The eggplant wasn't good AT ALL, but the stuffed pattypan squash was a hit!  I used up most of the cucumbers making refrigerator pickles, which I LOVE!  I've been eating them for snacks!

I went for my 6 month checkup on my Achilles' tendon on Wednesday.  I go back in a month to be fitted for new orthotics, and I had to buy a new pair of tennis shoes and another heel lift.  She was pleased with my recovery and told me to work more on stretching to help with the pain and soreness.
Thursday, I took Daddy to the dermatologist.  He froze several pre-cancerous spots and took a couple of biopsies.  Daddy has one place on his nose that is probably cancer.  If the biopsy is positive, we'll have to go back to have it removed.  His skin was in better shape than I expected.  It had been over a decade since his last visit to a skin doctor.

Sheila came over and spent last night with us.  She had to be at the hospital in Weatherford at 11:00 for her cystoscopy.  We stayed up extra late last night, so we would be able to sleep in later, since she couldn't eat or drink anything.  Everything went well, and the doctor was able to correct her problem during the procedure...which we didn't expect to happen!  She will be sore for a few days, but after she is completely healed from the procedure, she should be symptom free!  That was great news!  After eating a baked potato, she has been sleeping off the anesthesia.  She probably won't be good and awake until tomorrow.  She is staying over again tonight to recover.

Sunday is Sheila's 31st birthday.  We are planning to go to Henrietta Creek to be with her and celebrate.  I'm looking forward to visiting with everyone over there again.  It has been awhile since my last visit!  It was funny at the hospital today...everyone was SO surprised to find out that she is 30 years old!  When the (elderly) volunteer was taking us back to pre-op, she asked if Sheila was a minor.  When the nurse came in to care for her post-op (she hadn't met her yet), the other staff had to warn her that Sheila was 30.  She wouldn't have believed it otherwise!  Of course, lying in bed without her glasses and no makeup, with her hair in a ponytail, accentuated her youthful looks.  She does get tired of being mistaken for a teenager though!  (And it doesn't help when EVERYONE tells her that she will appreciate it some day in the future!)

Next week we'll be getting ready to head to Arkansas for the Summer Camp Meeting.  I hope that the trip goes well and Daddy and Bobbie hold up to the traveling and activities.  It will definitely be a different trip than we are used to!  Hope to see some of you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment