Friday, June 2, 2017

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

Today is a wonderful day!  The money from Daddy's house sale was wired into his account at the close of yesterday; so this morning, Dennis and I funded his investment account with Stephen.  This is the first time Daddy has ever had any money for investing!  At this point in his life, we will be keeping most of it in very stable investments, which aren't high yield, but will increase his assets slowly.  I think he is pretty excited to have a portfolio!

About a month ago, we discovered that Daddy had never reported Momma's death to the Teachers Retirement System.  Since his monthly annuity from them is based on him having a beneficiary that would continue to receive the annuity after his death, Dennis said that he should have some back pay coming to him (plus a raise in his monthly check).  So I wrote them, sending Mom's death certificate, and explained the circumstances.  Daddy got a letter from them this morning stating that he would soon be getting a check for over $28,000 in back pay!!!  That, along with what he made off the house, should ensure that he has plenty to last him as long as he lives.  I am SO thankful that God has allowed Daddy to have enough resources to allow him to live comfortably for the remainder of his life!

I found out yesterday that one of my (two) CASA cases is finally closed.  It has been going on for two years, and the last 5 months have just been waiting on little details to be taken care of...very frustrating for everyone!  Now this family can move on and not have to answer to CPS for everything.  I KNOW they are very relieved to finally be finished with all of the hassle.  That leaves me with just one case, and it is scheduled to close in August, if all goes well.  I'm not taking on any more cases for awhile.  Handling Daddy's affairs has been very time consuming and stressful, and I really don't have the capacity right now to take on anything extra.  Hopefully, we will also be going to get Josiah this fall, which will then completely fill my days!  So I'm taking off for a year or so until things settle down and we adjust to our new routine as full-time grandparents.

Ricky came over for supper last night.  I promised him fried deer steaks...a family favorite, but especially one for the guys.  He has been training as lead on his new job and is starting to really enjoy it.  He'll like it even more when the raise kicks in!  He has been sick with a sinus infection for a couple of weeks, but was finally able to get into to the clinic yesterday for a shot and some antibiotics.  He was already feeling better by suppertime.  (Prednisone shots really can perk a body up!) 

Looking forward to Sheila coming over tonight.  We missed our time last week, since we were in Arkansas.  Tomorrow, she, Ricky, Stacey, and I are planning to go watch the new "Pirates" movie.  Those three used to get together every week and watch reruns of the other "Pirates" movies.  Sheila's first birthday party, after we moved into this house, was pirate themed (and, of course, Stacey was here!).  So I'm expecting tomorrow to be a good time to be had by all!

Finally, on this wonderful day, we got a great rain...with more to come over the weekend.  Things had really started drying up around here, so it is very welcomed!  After a stressful few days, it is so nice to have a day in which everything seems to be going great.  Hope you can say the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment