Friday, June 9, 2017

Two year update


It has been just over a year since we started on our kitchen/dining room/laundry room/entry renovations and two years since we started the whole project.  I want to do a little update and brag a bit on Dennis (if you will indulge me).
The first year was devoted to the new building projects:  the den and shop and driveway.  The shop was necessary for Dennis to have a place to work and store his tools.  It is definitely HIS favorite part of the project!  He's finally got it pretty much the way he wants it, with just about any tool he might need.  The den has also been very helpful, since we've been using it for storing stuff while we've been tearing out and rebuilding the other rooms.  It is a mess, right now, but as soon as we finish the kitchen areas, we will be able to empty it of all the excess and have it for living purposes again.  This is primarily Dennis' room:  den/office/hunting room.  He loves it, too!
People are always asking, “Are you done with the kitchen yet?”  I don’t think any of them realize what all has been done during this past year.  We pretty much tore everything down and started over, with Dennis and Ricky doing ALL of the work.  Sheetrock (walls and ceilings) were torn out and rebuilt.  Walls were knocked down and redesigned.  Cabinets were built FROM SCRATCH.  Dennis (with help from Ricky) has done all of the carpentry, plumbing, wiring, flooring, and finishing work.  I admit that Dennis has always been slow.  He spends a LOT of time thinking, planning, and researching on the internet to figure out the best way to do everything.  That’s why he does such a good job!  Plus, he is turning 65 this year, so he doesn’t have the stamina that he once had.  He doesn't work on it every day, but he does MOST days.  He is really looking forward to finishing, so he can take a much needed break!




All we have left are the upper kitchen cabinet doors, a little trim work and some painting when it is all finished.  My kitchen is a dream to work in now!  Everything is nicely organized and readily accessible.  I absolutely LOVE all of my drawers!  It is great to be able to get out any pan or casserole dish without having to get down on my knees and dig for it.  All I do is open a drawer and lift it out.  My kitchen utensils are all tucked neatly away in their sectioned drawer right beside my stove.  The basic ingredients that I use every day are easily reached in my cabinet to the right of my stove or my pull out spice rack across from my stove.  My countertops are clear, providing an abundance of work space, with my cutting boards and knives within arm’s reach.  Dennis provided plenty of electrical outlets, so plugging in a small appliance is never a problem. He has built everything exactly like I designed it.  I couldn’t be happier with the results!

It took me some time and research to decide on what kind of sink I wanted in my kitchen.  After almost a year of use, I am still completely satisfied with what I chose.  I went with the 80/20 split, which is perfect for my needs!  I love the extra large sink that will hold any of my large pans.  The smaller side is perfect for washing produce!  It is also the perfect size to fit our ice cream freezer. 

My pantry and storage closet are two of my favorite things about the remodel.  I now have room for everything!  I can easily go to my pantry and find what I need or see what needs to be replaced when I go buy groceries.  I can stock up on items, which I’ve never been able to do before.  All of my small appliances and large serving dishes and pots fit nicely in the storage closet, as well as cake decorating supplies (which used to be stored in the garage), small ice chests, picnic supplies and my cookbooks and recipes.  It is so nice to have everything neatly tucked away behind closed doors!

Even though I’m really looking forward to having everything “finished”, I am truly loving every minute I spend in my new kitchen.  As soon as it is all done, we hope to host a potluck here to “break it in”.  This house has never worked very well for entertaining, because it was so tight and boxed in.  The new open design should work great for crowds!  I am very thankful that Dennis has the skills and desire to give me such a wonderful place to work and entertain!

No comments:

Post a Comment