I have so much on my heart this morning. I look around and see so much pain and
ugliness and it breaks my heart. If it
bothers me, who is sinful and carnal, just think what it does to the heart of
God.
Mr 10:18 And Jesus said unto him,
Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and
come short of the glory of God;
Ge 6:5-6 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth,
and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil
continually And it repented the LORD
that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Why do we hurt one another?
Why don’t we give more of ourselves and think more of the needs of
others? The scriptures tell us that sin
comes from love of the world. 1Jo
2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the
eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. The core of these three things is
self-centeredness. We want the things
that we want. We want to do the things
we want to do. We want others to think
highly of us. “I” am at the center of
all that I say and do and think. Christ
gave us the remedy for this: Mt 22:37-39
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy
heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and
great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy
neighbour as thyself.
Lu 9:23 And he said to them all,
If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross
daily, and follow me.
Of course, we all know this…it is the basis of
Christianity. We are to be likened unto
Christ and die to our old man through repentance, be buried into Christ through
baptism, and rise to walk a spiritual life in Him. But do we REALLY do it?
Is seeking God’s will the most important thing in our lives? Do we care for others’ needs as much as we do
for our own? Do we LOVE others as much
as we do ourselves?
Do I ever get into an argument with someone? What causes it? Why do I want to prove that I’m right and
they are wrong, or why do I want to impose my will on another? 2Ti 2:24-25 And the servant of the Lord must
not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient In meekness
instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them
repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
Do I ever say something, even if it is in ignorance, that is
demeaning or hurtful to another? Do I
take the time and forethought to consider my words before speaking or writing
them? Col 4:6 Let your speech be alway
with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every
man.
Ec 10:12 The words of a wise
man's mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself.
Do I freely give of myself (time, money, energy) to help
others…even when it is hard or I don’t really feel like it? Do I even think about it? How much doesn’t ever get done just because
it never enters our minds? Mt
25:41-46 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye
cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I
was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick,
and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him,
saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked,
or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer
them, saying, Verily I say unto you,
Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into
life eternal.
Ga 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not
liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
I watched a movie last night, “The Grace Card”. It wasn’t the greatest movie in the world but
the premise was excellent. Do we truly
love others and forgive others, even when it is hard or when they hurt us? Mt 5:44-48 But I say unto you, Love your
enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for
them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the
children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on
the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans
the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others?
do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father
which is in heaven is perfect.
Ro 12:20-21 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give
him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not
overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
So what am I getting at with all of this? (I wish that I had the talent of my husband
or my children to coherently express what is on my heart. I just muddle through as best I can.) I’m just wanting to remind us all, myself
especially, to focus less on “self” and more on God and others. I want us to truly be able to sing that song “None
of Self and All of Thee”.
Oh, the bitter pain and sorrow
That a time could ever be,
When I proudly said to Jesus,
“All of self, and none of Thee.”
That a time could ever be,
When I proudly said to Jesus,
“All of self, and none of Thee.”
Yet He found me; I beheld Him
Bleeding on th’ accursed tree,
And my wistful heart said faintly,
“Some of self, and some of Thee.”
Bleeding on th’ accursed tree,
And my wistful heart said faintly,
“Some of self, and some of Thee.”
Day by day His tender mercy,
Healing, helping, full and free,
Brought me lower while I whispered,
“Less of self, and more of Thee.”
Healing, helping, full and free,
Brought me lower while I whispered,
“Less of self, and more of Thee.”
Higher than the highest heaven,
Deeper than the deepest sea,
Lord, Thy love at last has conquered:
“None of self, and all of Thee.”
Deeper than the deepest sea,
Lord, Thy love at last has conquered:
“None of self, and all of Thee.”
Beautiful and, for a variety of reasons, sometimes really, REALLY hard to do. Thanks for these words!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lori. It is REALLY difficult! I know I need constant reminding and still fall short!
Delete